Eureka Atom Pro noise

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kb1dqh

#1: Post by kb1dqh »

Hi - I am new to the forum and new to high end grinders. I just bought a used Eureka Atom Pro. I love it - except it makes a very high pitched noise when I'm on the bottom have of my grind size setting. I took manually checked and I don't think the burrs are grinding, but I don't know what else would make the noise? Only happens once I put beans in. I can then adjust the setting in and out and then back to get rid of the noise... any ideas?

Best,
Jake

kb1dqh (original poster)

#2: Post by kb1dqh (original poster) »

And pictures of the burrs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dd5ogTF551gVMVks8

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Run the grinder without beans and turn the grind setting finer until the burrs chirp for real (i.e. when they start touching). Then back off. If it is something transient, that will fix it. If it doesn't, you will have to level the bottom burr (the bottom burr got slightly untrued in transport). You can use the site google for instructions; there are plenty of topics here that give instructions.
Jim Schulman

kb1dqh (original poster)

#4: Post by kb1dqh (original poster) »

Got it - so basically like this - ink and foil? http://coffeenavigated.net/grinder/

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Yep, that page looks like a good summary.
Jim Schulman

kb1dqh (original poster)

#6: Post by kb1dqh (original poster) »

Ok - figured it out! It wasn't the burrs touching.... It was a rogue bean under the lower burr holder.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Well done. Glad it's minor. Sure sounded like the burrs were touching.
Jim Schulman

AlienBean

#8: Post by AlienBean »

Hi, how have you found this grinder for espresso? I just ordered one. Thanks!

LewBK

#9: Post by LewBK »

I have this grinder. It makes excellent pour over, brew and drip range coffee, but espresso is challenging on it. The grinds are too even, and you have to keep going finer and finer to get any pressure on a machine. When you get a good shot, it can be delicious and sweet, but it is not a crema shot you would get from a conical burr grinder. It is more of a lungo. I ultimately swapped the burrs out for a conventional set of Eureka Atom 75mm ones. Since then, I have managed to get both good espresso and good to excellent pourover, making it a successful all-purpose but not perfect machine in my view. The advantages I would say over the conventional Eureka Atom are these: 1. Adjustment knob. It has a big adjustment knob that allows you to go from espresso to brew in one turn and return to your previous setting. On the regular Atom you will have to make more than one twist of the knob as it is finely calibrated for espresso only, so it is very hard to switch between the two. On the Pro you can switch between the two fairly easily. There is however some retention when switching from brew to espresso as you go finer, but not from going in reverse as you go coarser. I would say the overall retention is pretty low here if you use the blow up hopper, maybe a gram when you switch to much finer, and then about 0.2 once you're dialed in for your second shot. The more you stick to your grind setting, the less retention you get. The grinder is suitable for single dosing. 2. The powerful 900 watt motor. This thing is a beast. You will not have any problems with light roast beans stalling the grind on this machine. In fact, I imagine someone who loves light roast brew coffee might favor this grinder over beloved brew ones like the Fellow Ode or Wilfa. 3. The fan keeps the machine cool even when it's grinding hard.
Some drawbacks--1. No electronics. This is old school. You turn it on or off. That's it. On the plus side, there's less to break. But you can't do a timed grind like the regular Atom. 2. There can be some mess from chaff spray. I do not like Eureka's clump crushers much as they are flimsy plastic. They provide you two here, one for brew and one for espresso. I've switched to the brew clump crusher as I have that more often.