EtzMax preproduction run now available - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cafemolino

Postby cafemolino » Jul 06, 2018, 5:56 pm

fransg wrote:Calibrating the scale:

<video>

Hi did you buy grinder at what price? or you got it for free?

fransg

Postby fransg » Jul 12, 2018, 7:35 am

Currently the grinder is not for sale yet -- a number of testers are trying them out and providing feedback to the manufacturer. I was allowed to also post my findings publicly.

ncrc51

Postby ncrc51 » Jul 12, 2018, 10:28 am

I like the appearance but It's I think very much like art, what one person like another detests. Regarding pricing, even with its "bells and whistles" I think it will need to sell in the U.S. market for less than a Mon Con to gain a very large market share.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Jul 12, 2018, 12:05 pm

fransg wrote:Currently the grinder is not for sale yet -- a number of testers are trying them out and providing feedback to the manufacturer. I was allowed to also post my findings publicly.

Have you tested it against a Sette to see how the two differ in the cup (if at all)?

Headala

Postby Headala » replying to JayBeck » Jul 12, 2018, 1:03 pm

I too would really like a taste comparison with the Sette

fransg

Postby fransg » Jul 13, 2018, 1:22 am

I don't have a Sette. Just bought a Forté.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » replying to fransg » Jul 13, 2018, 8:40 am

Get one, lol. Since the two were designed side by side essentially, it will be interesting to see how the taste is with each. Is it the same grinder, packaged in domestic and commercial form? Motor is different, burr geometry is different, but how is it in the cup?

Why did you get a Forte? Pourover?

cafemolino

Postby cafemolino » Jul 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

fransg wrote:Currently the grinder is not for sale yet -- a number of testers are trying them out and providing feedback to the manufacturer. I was allowed to also post my findings publicly.

nice so you got one for free,

after 3 weeks at home do you like it? and more important what is your opinion on grinding quality / as good as the 5/6/8 or 120 Compak

fransg

Postby fransg » Jul 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

JayBeck wrote:Why did you get a Forte? Pourover?

I only do espresso. I know there are other ways, but since I don't usually do something casually, I would be immersing myself in that too and there has to be some life in between and after the espresso's during the day. I also roast practically every day, so it's good to do other things too, not investing it in pourover tools, timers, light roasts, hand grinders etc.

I got the Forté since I had an early little Vario Home years ago and it was a bit crappy. This Forté looks like the grinder the Vario Home was supposed to be. Also, it's to take along when I am away from home and the compact Forté looks like it can handle being packed whereas the Sette seems more vulnerable, a little like a fragile butterfly-version of the heavy duty etzMAX so I would not want to submit the Sette to the hassle of travel.

fransg

Postby fransg » Jul 14, 2018, 1:15 pm

cafemolino wrote:after 3 weeks at home do you like it? and more important what is your opinion on grinding quality / as good as the 5/6/8 or 120 Compak

I think I already posted about the etzMAX / R120 comparison. I hope to do that again with a friend who's a Q grader, but he was extremely busy before going on a vacation and a trip to origin, so that has to wait a bit.

I gave away the E6 and I sold the E5 and E8 so luckily I can't compare with those. Over the past 2 weeks I've been practically only single-dosing the etzMAX to see how that goes and it goes well. In the coming days I will then switch back to a filled hopper and try to find out if I notice a difference in the cup.

When I single dose, I use 18-18.1g of beans, chuck it in the small hopper, use the "22g" grind by weight setting so the last seconds the grinder is spinning the burr without any beans. The same weight comes out as goes in and the extraction is very good.

The little Forté is also reasonably precise in 'grind by weight' but by a wider margin. If I want 18g, I set it to 18.3g and then I get 18.0-18.1g or thereabouts. No one would blindly taste the difference but it is all the more impressive how Acaia / Etzinger get it so insanely precise on the etzMAX which also grinds much faster, so it has much much less time to estimate when to stop right on target.

This afternoon I tried to compare two espressos from the same Costa Rica beans from both grinders but I was unable to make a clear distinction. Both had that blast of rich taste, the bean and the roast more loud than any subtle grinder difference to discern for me yet. Maybe later.

The etzMAX is much faster, more precise, bigger, better looking and more valuable/espensive too.