Etzmax Finally in the USA

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

https://ghgbs.com/products/etzmax-filte ... -by-weight
What is fascinating here is the burr size is small, 32mm, yet Etzinger has a sterling reputation. Could this be the grinder that proves definitively burr geometry is more important than size? Two other things interesting, it's a brew grinder and it's gravimetric. Finally, it's price tag for a small burr grinder is eye popping-$2,950. Someone with money to burn ought to test this one.

drH

#2: Post by drH »

I wonder why only the filter version?

What makes this grinder interesting is how easy it is to access and change the burrs. The espresso burrs also look interesting with a good reviews: https://espressovivace.com/etz-max-grin ... um-review/

There is also a short hopper seen in videos.
They also have a manual version: the EtzMan, not to be confused with their handheld manual grinder. For money, maybe the grind-by-weight EtzMan is the interesting deal.

EvanOz85

#3: Post by EvanOz85 »

$700 more than an MC4.

LewBK (original poster)

#4: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

It's gravimetric and some people want that as opposed to weighing and measuring every single dose.

EvanOz85

#5: Post by EvanOz85 »

You really think the fact that it grinds by weight, something the Sette 270 also does (and also has burrs MADE by Etzinger), makes it worth $700 more than a handmade and precision aligned MC4?

bakafish

#6: Post by bakafish »

Precision aligned MC4? The diameter difference is 0.5mm, i.e. 500 µm. I've done the realignment by using the feeler gauge and got better result than the factory default by checking the true zero and burrs locking point. Thanks to the big gap.

Cedo

#7: Post by Cedo »

EvanOz85 wrote:You really think the fact that it grinds by weight, something the Sette 270 also does (and also has burrs MADE by Etzinger), makes it worth $700 more than a handmade and precision aligned MC4?
Why are you comparing it to the sette? It's like comparing df64 to p64 because they both have 64mm burrs... When you are looking at grinders in this price range $700 for gravimetric is not out of the ordinary. For example gravimetric and non gravimetric mythos has a $600 difference.

EvanOz85

#8: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Cedo »

So go ahead and tell me what it is about this grinder, with it's small burr-set and inability to grind for espresso, that justify the price.

And I'm comparing it to the Sette because it's literally a Sette ripoff by the manufacturer who MAKES the burrs for the Sette. If you think a filter-only grinder with minuscule conical burrs is worth nearly $3,000.00 then by all means go ahead and purchase one. A fool and his money, they say.

Cedo

#9: Post by Cedo replying to EvanOz85 »

Again, I don't compare p64 with df64 because they have the same burrs size. And do you know if the burrs in this grinder are identical to the sette other than the size? As far as I can tell noone posted here has actually tried this grinder yet. I don't know if this grinder is "worth" the money or not, but I also don't go around posting negative comments without trying it or even seeing any real reviews yet. And how do you know mc4 is "precision aligned" compared with this?

ojt

#10: Post by ojt »

This discussion here reminds me a little about the discussions about a new Cremina and its price. Toxic and useless. If the grinder ticks someone's wishlist boxes and the price is OK, why not get it.

Looking forward to some actual user experiences and reviews. Although this will not be my grinder I'm still interested.
Osku