Espresso pulls too fast. Not fine enough? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tennisman03110

#11: Post by tennisman03110 »

As said, it's more than likely the grind size. It's really hard to tell via pictures, when we are looking at coffee that is finely ground, buy maybe not finely enough needed for proper espresso extraction.

Is that a double or single basket you're using? If a single, can you try the double? I think you might only have double walled baskets with your machine (off the record, and in the kindest way possible...but your machine is borderline a gimmick -- it's going to be hard to get far with it)

I'd start with 20g in, aim for 40g out. You could increase dosage to add resistance to the puck, to accommodate for a coarser grind. There's a limit to this.

I still believe your best bet, to nail down it's in fact the grinder, is get a local shop to grind some coffee for you. I'd think many would be more than willing to do that. The Aroma Joe's beans are probably not fresh, just another factor in the equation.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

While it would be a wonderful find, the likelihood of a new, $58 electric grinder being suitable for espresso is slim to none.

Marcelnl

#13: Post by Marcelnl »

If that coffee is recently roasted (I do not know this Joe) it's likely the grind. Get a decent grinder, proper Espresso grinders are expensive but used ones (A Super Jolly for example) can be found for as little as around $150...or try a pressurized basket....
LMWDP #483

mariobarba

#14: Post by mariobarba »

Besides the grinder advice given, can we see the bottom of the basket you are using? If there is only 1 hole on the bottom, it is a pressurized basket and nothing you do to the grind will make a difference.

kaitlynm1 (original poster)

#15: Post by kaitlynm1 (original poster) »

Thanks. Do you know if you can buy beans ground for espresso or if pods work ok? I only got this to save the $5 a few times a week buying my iced latte. I don't really have the means to spend $100s and hundreds doing this.

#16: Post by kaitlynm1 (original poster) »

Hello. the basket has 2 holes the espresso comes out of.

Marcelnl

#17: Post by Marcelnl »

If the basket inside shows two holes that line up with the outside it is likely a non pressurized basket, if so go find a local roaster that can grind for you.
I followed this route for a couple of months, it;s an approximation but with fresh roasted beans and a grind setting that works well you should be fine.
Just remember the grind setting, buy small batches to try firs the first couple of batches and work your way towards a good result!
LMWDP #483

mariobarba

#18: Post by mariobarba »

The 2 holes are in the portafilter. The basket is the stainless steel part that usually pops out of the portafilter. If you see tiny holes on almost the entire bottom surface, that is a normal basket. If you see only one hole in the centre or a few holes in the centre, that is a pressurized basket. The reason I ask is that your pics seem to show crema on top of the shot. If that is indeed the case, I would guess you have a pressurized basket, as a normal basket would give little crema with a fast shot. Here is pic of what the bottom of the two typse of basket could look like.

If you are indeed using a pressurized basket, the grinder will not make a big difference in the timing of your shot. Most/all of the advice found on this site is for regular, non-pressurized baskets.

leozava
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by leozava »

Have you tried increasing your dose? How much coffee are you putting in the basket?

#20: Post by kaitlynm1 (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:The 2 holes are in the portafilter. The basket is the stainless steel part that usually pops out of the portafilter. If you see tiny holes on almost the entire bottom surface, that is a normal basket.
Now that you mention it, the top has a bunch of holes in it but the bottom only has one. Here is an attached picture.