Equipment Review: Burr vs. Blade Coffee Grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jevenator

#1: Post by jevenator »

Found this video because a person on Reddit was advocating that you don't need an expensive grinder like the Kinu after op was praising the in-cup quality he got from getting one. He linked it to this video to back up the claims.
Here's a quote from the video:
"Blind tastings led to show a difference in flavor profile but each made a good cup. Tasters split on which tasted best."
I'm curious if they used the Kruve Sifter for the taste testing cause they use it for testing but it would be unfair to include that in the testing itself.

A blade grinder will definitely not work for espresso but for drip machines/pour-over. But I find that hard to believe. James Hoffman did share the Coffee Hack: The Best Blade Grinder Results.

I'd never recommended a blade grinder to any person though trying to make good coffee. What do you guys think?

ragdoll serenade

#2: Post by ragdoll serenade »

A blade grinder, a #2 Melitta cone (bleached) and a small Revere Ware kettle were our primary household tools for many years. Shaking the grinder a bit and going pretty fine seemed to provide the best results. You could do a lot worse.

Mbb

#3: Post by Mbb »

I think it'll have a wide distribution that'll lead to a different taste.

But overall repeatability is going to be pretty poor.

And yeah I used a blade grinder before, to grind for Keurig. Even doing that my purchased bean coffee, was better than the crud that you actually got in a Keurig cup you buy.

Does it compare to a real grinder? No.
Can it still be better than old flat stale coffee you purchase pre-ground? Yes. Imo

I simply cannot drink stale pre-ground coffee anymore.

Scott_G

#4: Post by Scott_G »

14.1mm...6.4mm?! America's test kitchen? I don't know anymore.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

The blade grinders tend to create a lot of "dust" while getting to a grind that will work for drip. While that will create a bitter cup, filtering through a paper filter lessens the effect of the dust. I have purchased a couple of blade grinders and presented them to friends to whom I regularly gifted my home roasted coffee. As has been said, a poor grinder with fresh roasted quality coffee is better then a quality grinder used with old, low-quality beans. Even if it is a hammer and flat rock, it is worth saving friends from Folger's.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

namelessone

#6: Post by namelessone »

I wonder which grinder got 88% between sieves (though they don't specify which, I'm guessing it's 400 and 800?). Doesn't sound like they measured correctly, since I'm not aware of any such grinder that can produce so that 88% fits between 400-800.