Electric brew grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
compaqdrew

#1: Post by compaqdrew »

I have a sette for my aeropress. Recently I picked up an SCA-rated brewer for convenience but having trouble dialing it in. Now I'm not the best taster but it's difficult to say even if it's under or over extracted, and my guess is it could be both as a little research suggests the sette is inconsistent in coarser range. For reference I've tried 18-26 without finding a great setting for a bag.

I ordered the sette S2 burrs because why not, but I've heard mixed reviews. So it got me thinking about a dedicated brew grinder, anything from an encore up to a forte bg really (or other brands, just familiar with baratza). I'm not sure what is an "appropriate" budget to grind drip coffee, would really like to hear from anyone who uses their grinder for drip and can comment about whether the step up between e.g, virtuoso and vario is very substantial.

Part of me wants to get something cheaper now and plan on getting something else in a few years as there seems to be a lot happening in brew grinders lately. The other part of me wants to get something nice enough for grind-by-weight as I do use it on my sette, which puts me above the midrange at least.

Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas