EK43S - Laube Short Hopper feedback?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zerphyte

#1: Post by zerphyte »

I finally picked up a new ek43s for pour overs at the house. Was looking for a nice short hopper and came across the Laube machined short hopper. Has anybody got one of these and have feedback on it? Is it worth it for the machined aluminum vs a plastic one and is the quality worth the price?

bettysnephew

#2: Post by bettysnephew »

How many grams of beans will you be using for your pour over? The black housing on the top of mine holds a fair amount, and may be adequate for you depending on dosage. I have never needed anything else to hold my quantities. I do put a bellows on mine to puff out the remainder and protect from pop corning. For my pour overs I am feeding a Technivorm, but not full pots as I live alone.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by buckersss »

I do not have this short hopper. But I have bought other products from laube and i was very pleased.

zerphyte (original poster)

#4: Post by zerphyte (original poster) »

bettysnephew wrote:How many grams of beans will you be using for your pour over? The black housing on the top of mine holds a fair amount, and may be adequate for you depending on dosage. I have never needed anything else to hold my quantities. I do put a bellows on mine to puff out the remainder and protect from pop corning. For my pour overs I am feeding a Technivorm, but not full pots as I live alone.
~25g single dose only. I don't do full pots it'll all be used with a modbar pour over module single cups so don't need that much room in the hopper. The other one I looked at was the titus dosing tool but I dont trust the method for measuring doses.

bettysnephew

#5: Post by bettysnephew »

I dose 20 grams for a large single mug of coffee when I use the Tecnivorm. I think that 25 gr. will fit. I have been drinking espresso for a stretch now and don't remember how full the black hopper adapter is at 20 gr. but do not recall it being full to the brim.
Just remembered I had some old beans that were not going to be used. Weighed up 25 gr. and dumped into the adapter. They were still well within the stainless part inside the black plastic adapter. Personally I would just find a bellows and use the existing inlet adapter. Won't have the cool look factor of the machined spout but won't cost much other than a few bucks for a puffer bellows.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

gocanes

#6: Post by gocanes »

A machined aluminum part from barstock is going to be well made and pricey. The Laube part just looks a bit too angular to my eye, reminds me too much of the stock EK part cosmetically, which can be a good thing. The Grafikus EK parts are more to my taste.