EK43S For Brew But Getting Into Espresso...

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
happydaze

#1: Post by happydaze »

Hey guys! What would you do in this scenario? I've got an EK43S that I'm currently using for pour over. We love the results. I know there are mixed feelings about the EK43 being used as an espresso grinder. What would you recommend as we breach into the abyss of the espresso world? Should we experiment with zeroing the burrs and grinding espresso with the EK? Should I go for red SSP burrs and use the grinder for both coffee and espresso? Am I going to create purge issues from switching back and forth to the point where it's not worth it? I don't really want to mangle the EK43 and start reconfiguring the settings as it's been working great as configured from the factory, but at the same time, I don't know if its 100% necessary to go buy another grinder specifically for espresso. The other school of thought is get something specifically for single dosing espresso and just leave the two worlds completely separate. I just can't drop another $2k at the moment on a grinder so it would have to be something a little more consumer grade.

Thanks!

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

Just start using it for espresso and decide along the road what works best for you. You'll find out pretty quick if change is needed.

coffeemmichael

#3: Post by coffeemmichael »

happydaze wrote:The other school of thought is get something specifically for single dosing espresso and just leave the two worlds completely separate.
Tomorrow marks 18 months of me using an EK exclusively for espresso and drip at home

What's coming this week? A dedicated espresso grinder. I've never been able to stop craving the texture and density of more traditional espresso, even though my 1:3 EK pulls are vibrant and delicious.

happydaze (original poster)

#4: Post by happydaze (original poster) »

coffeemmichael wrote:Tomorrow marks 18 months of me using an EK exclusively for espresso and drip at home

What's coming this week? A dedicated espresso grinder (eureka olympus w/ mythos burrs). I've never been able to stop craving the texture and density of more traditional espresso, even though my 1:3 EK pulls are vibrant and delicious.
Did you modify the EK at all before you started using it for espressso? Do you know if your unit has the old version of the burrs or the new burrs which are allegedly more espresso friendly?

coffeemmichael

#5: Post by coffeemmichael replying to happydaze »

Old burrs, aligned

New burrs won't satiate my desire for texture

I see claims of people saying they get 1:2 EK pulls; no one ever seems to provide extraction yields along with those claims. I could do a 1:2, it just wouldn't be high in extraction

1:3 shots with my burrs never failed to go below 22% ext

jdrock

#6: Post by jdrock »

What is your setting for 1:2? I am using 0.5 for medium light roast.
And how do you measure 22%?

ryuemura

#7: Post by ryuemura »

I'm using my EK43S for espresso and it's actually quite amazing straight out of the box. I'm using Cat & Cloud "The Answer" right now and am using similar numbers to their brew recommendations. I'm dosing 19.6g in, 32-34g out in 24-27 seconds. Very uncommon numbers for an EK, but I'm still getting fantastic results. BTW, I'm pushing the grinder to the limit and my dial is at 0.4 - 0.1. I'm planning to switch to SO after this bag, so I'll be using a 1:2 ratio.

FWIW, I'm finding very minimal retention when single dosing the EK43S for espresso. I've also been getting better, more even extractions than my Mythos One Clima Pro. Not sure if the Mythos One is grinding more unevenly, or if the burrs fell out of alignment...? I have yet to pull a shot through a bottomless portafilter and not channel from the Mythos One. I'm using a 18g VST basket, Pullman Chisel and Pullman Palm tamper, and still channeling...I'm using the same routine and have never channeled on the EK43S, even though there's noticeable clumping.

Ejquin

#8: Post by Ejquin »

Just curious for all - and not to hijack the thread, but how are you finding the ek43s for pour over? I'm reading some comments that the new burrs are for espresso and are not as good for pour over. Just curious how the pour over performance has been?

sharkroman

#9: Post by sharkroman »

Hey happydaze, saw your pm and replying here
I'm using my ek43s for espresso and gets pretty good result with stock burrs (i believe new version), at settings between 0.8 to 1.2, using locally sourced med roast SO beans.
EY measures between 20%~23% at 1:2.5~3 ratio.

You really need to try it out yourself to find out if it's to your personal taste palate, it's definitely capable :)

jdrock

#10: Post by jdrock replying to sharkroman »

How do you measure EY 20%-23%?
I asked before but not answer.