EK43S For Brew But Getting Into Espresso... - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Aguirre

#21: Post by Aguirre »

bakafish wrote:uniform grind, unimodal, and less fines are better for filter coffee
Yes, that is a consensus that I'm well aware of.

bakafish wrote:Ditting 804 is in the top class with these features
And that's the part I'm missing. Is there any study (like the ones socratic coffee post for example) comparing the Ditting with the competition?

bakafish

#22: Post by bakafish »

Aguirre wrote:Is there any study (like the ones socratic coffee post for example) comparing the Ditting with the competition?

dialed in espresso range though...

Advertisement
NoStream

#23: Post by NoStream replying to bakafish »

On the other hand, SSP may be more modal than the kr804. And yet most who've made direct comparisons prefer the pre-2015 coffee burrs.

bakafish

#24: Post by bakafish replying to NoStream »

Socratic Coffee did many tests on EK43, but the results are very different. I think there might be something wrong when Socratic Coffee did this grind distribution analysis. Many people said the SSP burrs have wider range for espresso. From this graph, SSP burrs have less fines, higher and narrower peak, so we can say SSP burrs are more unimodal, but we can see the peaks are almost at the same particle size. This also happened on the 2 graphs above of the ditting 804. It's very strange. Grinders for espresso must have more fines so they can have wider range to adjust. Grinders with less fines have to grind finer, almost at burrs touch, so that they can have the same flow rate. That's why the espresso range is very small on the EK43 pre-2015 coffee burrs. This is the same on ditting 804 and my Mahlkonig Guatemala. You have to grind very fine to have decent flow rate and can easily tell the difference of the particle size by eyes and fingers. Since SSP burrs have bigger range for espresso, I don't think the fines are less then the EK43 stock burrs (any version). This should be the reason people prefer the pre-2015 coffee burrs for pour over. SSP also made 80mm burrs for ditting to grind for espresso more easily. They said to add more fines.

aecletec

#25: Post by aecletec »

It would be helpful to compare the old sieve method to the laser analysis they're using now - maybe there will be a difference in detection... Or, maybe the difference is in particle shape, etc.

lucasd

#26: Post by lucasd »

Aguirre wrote: bakafish wrote:
uniform grind, unimodal, and less fines are better for filter coffee

Yes, that is a consensus that I'm well aware of.
Irony, it that consensus is based on misinterpretation.

Matt Perger that started it, he was against boulders, so he sieved boulders from coffee in competition. But somehow people assumed it were fines...

Multiple test done by others with Krupe etc., showed that sieving out boulders improve, but if you touch fines you degrade experience.

Of course we assume you have good enough grinder, if it is for example porlex, than sieving some of fines will improve...

bakafish

#27: Post by bakafish »

lucasd wrote:Irony, it that consensus is based on misinterpretation.

Matt Perger that started it, he was against boulders, so he sieved boulders from coffee in competition. But somehow people assumed it were fines...
Let's see the video:
https://livestream.com/worldcoffee/Brew ... os/1566416

and this article on the BH website:
Fines
Wow. Back in 2012 I won the World Brewers Cup with a routine centred around removing fines.
https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista ... -explained

He now believes the fines are good. I'd like to see how he proves it.
Once I figure out how to brew fines properly I'll be back at the WBrC with an apology routine!

lucasd wrote:Multiple test done by others with Krupe etc., showed that sieving out boulders improve, but if you touch fines you degrade experience.
Without the TDS and EY we cannot say much. But in many cases, the fines were removed which caused the flow rate much faster and resulted in under extraction. It should be compensated by grinding finer or using Tetsu Kasuya's 4-6 method which uses coarser grind originally.

Advertisement
BeatsWitts

#28: Post by BeatsWitts »

I have EK43ST. What's difference standard coffee burr and SSP burr?