EK43 + RDT ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
deklol

#1: Post by deklol »

Hello,

I'm using a EK43 which I clamp a dosing cup to when I grind. The machine produce alot of static so I was thinking of starting to use RDT. I'm concerned it might cause the burrs to rust and/or corrode. What do you think? Any experiences?

BR

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by blondica73 replying to deklol »

I received my EK43S a couple of days ago. I use the same technique as you; however, I would be worried of using RDT due to burrs rust. All single dose grinders exhibit static, and the EK43S is no different.

Eiern

#3: Post by Eiern »

I don't RDT with mine as a little static is no real problem for me. However if you use it without for a while so you're sure the burrs get covered with coffee oils and you don't go through a lot of coffee everyday it should be fine. It's a small amount of water (I'd use distilled as it doesn't add minerals or go bad) and a lot of dry beans in the mix. But I just don't like doing it with any of my grinders even if it's supposed to be fine :wink:

ojt

#4: Post by ojt »

If you do go with RDT do it as little as possible (IMHO), for example with the tea spoon trick; wet the handle of the spoon and stir the beans with it. That's quite enough to reduce static (or make the fines stick to bigger particles?) by quite a lot. Not sure if using a spray bottle would introduce more water but I'd personally be careful about it. Also I think the situation may change also with the burrs getting seasoned, and different beans behave different, and also your ambient temperature and humidity play their role so you'll just have to try things out.
Osku

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 »

On my new grinder, about 4 lbs, the difference in RDT and no RDT is noticeable, funny, I can grind straight in the portafilter. However, I will be refraining from spraying the beans, out of abundance of caution as the sprayer puts too much water out.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 »

Well, I started RDT after some research and I love the results.

truemagellen

#7: Post by truemagellen »

RDT will not hurt your burrs as it will add a negligible amount of moisture to the burr surface that will evaporate quickly.

If you can ground the static in the cup using a chain or wire. Static is a common encounter with EK43 and there are even products sold that have the chain to discharge static.

deklol (original poster)

#8: Post by deklol (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

Thanks for all replies.
Thanks for the suggestion. How exactly do you mean using a chain or wire? Should I attach it in the spout of the EK43 or?

Thanks
BR

truemagellen

#9: Post by truemagellen »

Here is an example, I'm sure there is a diy solution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portafilter-Ho ... SwSxpdGNVn