EK43 grind size issue - Standard burr post 2015

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Senfromsydney

#1: Post by Senfromsydney »

Hi all, I hope ek43 still living the hype as I just got mine few days ago (second hand 1year+) :)

I got it cleaned and aligned. The grind looks uniform to me but has some fines. Been using Comandante c40 and always set between 25-30clicks ( that's how I like my pour over, coarser side).

I've been trying the coarsest setting at 11.5 so far

:arrow: Tested on April brewer 13:200g 2 pours stalled and TBT around 3mins+

:arrow: For v60 sometimes it went up to 4mins with abaca+ filter.

My question are

1. Is it normal for a standard post 2015 burr to be grinding so much fine that caused stall?

2. Should I swap the burr to SSP Red Speed?

3. Could it be the burr still very sharp and it produces more fines?

Thanks very much in advance

PPapa

#2: Post by PPapa »

Some notes:
1. How did you align the grinder? If yours has old style plastic rectangular buttons, the chamber is known to be less precisely made. If they're round metal buttons, you should be alright. Given the dial settings, I think yours may be older...

2. The Red Speed indicates the coating, while SSP make multiple geometries for 98mm burrs... they're expensive and there's multiple options, so I'd advise against spending $550 so quickly.

3. It really shouldn't stall the brews assuming you're definitely on new style burrs. Maybe a photo would help, it could be that they've been swapped with Turkish burrset.

4. The above assumes that you have calibrated the grinder after reassembly and the tightest setting (or just tiny bit tighter) causes the burrs to chirp?

EvanOz85

#3: Post by EvanOz85 »

All grinders will produce fines. Certain beans produce more than others. Are you brewing an Ethiopian by any chance?

Eiern

#4: Post by Eiern »

I have a well aligned EK43S with the new burrs and while I find they produce a good amound of fines my V60s was still around 3 minutes total with a 12g dose and 4 minus with 24g dose. I tended to grind around 9 o clock to 7 o clock for pourover.

Did you center the burrs with feeler gauges? I use feeler gauges everywhere for my rotating carrier: between every wiper and the outside of the burr and between the carrier auger and the inner side of the burr before I tighten.

Regarding burrs I sold my original set as I didn't really like them in the end after trying others (used them daily for well over a year and seasoned them a lot, also revisited them a few times including in the P100) but it's hard to recommend burrs without knowing preferences, they are mostly all good in the 98mm lineup but also have slightly different presentations. 98 Brew is among my favorites but their presentation might not be for everyone I guess and I even long for something else at times. Currently running Ultra Low Fines for fun which have more body and complexity.

Senfromsydney (original poster)

#5: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

PPapa wrote:Some notes:
1. How did you align the grinder? If yours has old style plastic rectangular buttons, the chamber is known to be less precisely made. If they're round metal buttons, you should be alright. Given the dial settings, I think yours may be older...

2. The Red Speed indicates the coating, while SSP make multiple geometries for 98mm burrs... they're expensive and there's multiple options, so I'd advise against spending $550 so quickly.

3. It really shouldn't stall the brews assuming you're definitely on new style burrs. Maybe a photo would help, it could be that they've been swapped with Turkish burrset.

4. The above assumes that you have calibrated the grinder after reassembly and the tightest setting (or just tiny bit tighter) causes the burrs to chirp?
1. It's EK43s with 2 round buttons on the side, with the 0-16 grind setting.
2. Not gonna swap the burr if I could for now.
3. I checked with the previous owner, it's the Standard burr, will try to take a picture later. I believe Turkish burr has no gap when putting together, while Standard burr has a tiny gap? Mine has a tiny gap in between.
4. I calibrated based on YouTube video and backed off a touch after hearing the chirping noise.

#6: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

EvanOz85 wrote:All grinders will produce fines. Certain beans produce more than others. Are you brewing an Ethiopian by any chance?
I'm currently brewing China Yuan Yi Yuan | Mangshi Yunnan | Catimor. Next bag in the freezer will be the Ethiopian.

#7: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:I have a well aligned EK43S with the new burrs and while I find they produce a good amound of fines my V60s was still around 3 minutes total with a 12g dose and 4 minus with 24g dose. I tended to grind around 9 o clock to 7 o clock for pourover.

Did you center the burrs with feeler gauges? I use feeler gauges everywhere for my rotating carrier: between every wiper and the outside of the burr and between the carrier auger and the inner side of the burr before I tighten.

Regarding burrs I sold my original set as I didn't really like them in the end after trying others (used them daily for well over a year and seasoned them a lot, also revisited them a few times including in the P100) but it's hard to recommend burrs without knowing preferences, they are mostly all good in the 98mm lineup but also have slightly different presentations. 98 Brew is among my favorites but their presentation might not be for everyone I guess and I even long for something else at times. Currently running Ultra Low Fines for fun which have more body and complexity.
12g with 3mins TBT sounds a bit long (for my liking), what's your brew method, please? If I make 13g I also like 2 pours April brewer method.

It's probably a good idea to get the feeler gauge :lol:

Eiern

#8: Post by Eiern »

I do 12g V60 or Kalita with 45 sec bloom and they usually end up around 3 min. I use light beans, mostly Wendelboe filter roast. I also do 2x1 min bloom Kono at times and those end up 04:00-04:30. Some beans brew faster and some 98mm burrs in the P100 always run a little faster.

If I pour more agressively and don't do as long bloom or don't do two pours after bloom it will be shorter brew times but I tend to do lower agitation pours and let the bed do a lot of the filtration, especially with the very uniform big flat burrs I don't need to agitate a lot, I extract a lot easily from most beans.

#9: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) replying to Eiern »

I just brew another cup using April brewer 13g:200g 2 pours ( EK43 set at 13.5 around 6-7 o'clock), it's slightly faster. I found that the water flow slowed down significantly at the last 20-40ml which dragged the whole TBT.

You mentioned a good point there that I never realised, with 98mm burrs that create uniform grind I don't need to agitate much. As I find my last cup has a bit more astringency than my normal less aggressive pour. Interesting!

This is my 13.5 setting it looks uniform to me, but I did see some clumps in the cup which I then RDT it (should've taken the photo).