EK43 grind setting + La Marzocco Linea Mini

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
namelessone

#1: Post by namelessone »

Just wondering if anyone here uses the combination in the topic and if so what ballpark grind setting do you happen to use. Would be great if you could indicate which burr set you have and whether it's the new or the old dial of course.

nicholasnumbers

#2: Post by nicholasnumbers »

Any number on the dial is meaningless unless you know how it was calibrated. The way I have my EK43 set up is different than how someone else may set theirs up; it all depends on if you try and get the burrs to slightly touch during calibration and keep that as the zero point; or if you do that and then back off on the dial to ensure they'll never clash.

I set up my EK strictly for filter coffee and coarser grinds, so even at my finest dial setting I cannot pull espresso.

Nick

namelessone (original poster)

#3: Post by namelessone (original poster) »

Yes that's obvious, but I'm assuming most people using it for espresso have it calibrated for just touching at 0, and then I don't imagine settings varying wildly by grinders.

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Shawnaks5 »

namelessone wrote:Just wondering if anyone here uses the combination in the topic and if so what ballpark grind setting do you happen to use. Would be great if you could indicate which burr set you have and whether it's the new or the old dial of course.
Just seeing this thread now. I've been using the EK43s with the Linea Mini for a few months now. Here is how I have mine set up... I have the Red Speed SSP Low Fines burrs. My burrs are calibrated to touch at barely less than zero and then I backed off just a touch so they do not touch when at zero. I'm using the Titus dial and my settings for espresso with these burrs are anywhere between 0.1 and 1.2 depending on the roast level of the coffee and what kind of shot I'm trying to pull. With the stock burrs I have more espresso range and can go up to 2.3 or 2.4. My dose is 18g using an 18g ridgeless VST basket.

A good friend made me a picture to help me compare the Titus Dial to the EK43s Dial. See below. As you know there are so many variables with espresso and it's really hard to have the exact setup as someone else. At lease that's what I've found so far :-). Hopefully this helps some.

namelessone (original poster)

#5: Post by namelessone (original poster) »

thanks! Right now I'm using 0.8 on the stock basket (17g) dosing 18g or 19g. This results in ~40g out in 35 to 40 seconds. Kind of a slow shot, but I found shots at 0.9 didn't taste as good. What I also see is that there's usually quite a few fines at the bottom of the cup, so I think this is actually a very fine grind. I have the original SSP burrs (high uniformity, I guess).

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Shawnaks5 »

Interesting! I'm glad it's working out for you! I've heard a lot of folks liking 1:3 shots on the EK as well. Have you tried that? I'm getting the Ultra Grinder Monday. Looking forward to using those High Uniformity burrs you have in your EK.