EK43 burr carrier with broken spring

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
georgemvg

#1: Post by georgemvg »

Hi all!
I want to buy an old version of ek43, and the burr carrier has a huge spring for coffee beans movement. Problem is that the spring has been broken and welded afterwards a little further where the hole was at the carrier.
Do you know if the new version burr carrier is interchangable?
Seller says that he has tried the new version and that it grinds slower...
I have tried to find the old part with no success...

malling

#2: Post by malling »

It's not really a spring it's a prebreaker/feeder and I honestly doubt it matters.

You can get better carrier that isn't as poorly aligned as stocks at Titus these has a slower feed.

georgemvg (original poster)

#3: Post by georgemvg (original poster) replying to malling »

That was exactly what I have asked. If i can use a newer design to an old machine. If it can happen, I can use stock or Titus with no problem?

malling

#4: Post by malling replying to georgemvg »

Yes it should not be a problem Mahlkonig hasn't really changed the overall design it has a bit better alignment but that's it... but ask Frank from Titus he can give you an exact answer to this.

#5: Post by georgemvg (original poster) »

Thanks! I will do so!

objective1

#6: Post by objective1 »

Your photo implies the machine doesn't have a bushing that compresses the spring as the new designs have.

#7: Post by georgemvg (original poster) »

Which bushing? Any photo for that?

malling

#8: Post by malling replying to georgemvg »

The one with the red circle is the distance bushing, Ek43 had these for years, also back to the time where they used the coiled metal that look like a spring for the bean feeder a design my previous also had a design they removed with the introduction of EK43LE (later S)

As I wrote the one that looks like a spring is not a spring it's a bean feeder it dos not compress.

truemagellen

#9: Post by truemagellen »

the newer ek43s come well aligned from factory (the few i've seen from 2019 or so onward, with the machined spout don't require alignment for espresso) and use the newer burr carrier that feed a bit slower (it is machined aluminum). As others mentioned it will work but the overall housing will not be as aligned so its worthwhile to align everything when you put it all together.

buying older used ek43 can be tricky because of these variations and depending on what you want to use it for. for pourover it would be great without modification

#10: Post by georgemvg (original poster) »

Oh now I am confused. Maybe it does not worth the effort...