EK43 alignment and SSP burrs review - Updated - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Rytopa

#11: Post by Rytopa » Jul 12, 2019, 2:17 am

Thanks for the update.

What are ur espresso parameters like?

I am currently using a DE1, with preinfusion of 4.5Ml/s to 6 bars, 18g vst , 18g out 55g, ekpresso style 20sec shot at around 4 EK43S dial.

Pulling at around 5.5 for epsresso would seriously put my alignment in doubt. :cry: :cry:

takethingsapart

#12: Post by takethingsapart » Jul 12, 2019, 2:32 am

This is on stock ek43s burrs? Yeah that's dramatically different from my stock burrs, mine was at 0.5. By the way, did you calibrate the zero point? Simply unscrew the top screw on the side of the dial and then use a big flat head screw driver to turn the giant screw on the front until you hear the burrs touching.

My SSP burrs are grinding at 5.5-7.5 though.

Oh and I'm doing normal 9 bars on my GS3, but I don't think 6 bars on my machine slows down the shot that much. I've kind of stopped messing with preinfusion since the SSP burrs are so forgiving. I just run the shot a bit longer on coarser grounders. It ends up tasting pretty similar to grinding finer and preinfusing. I've stopped having alot of flow related issues now that I got these burrs... Today, I messed up and ended up grinding too fine and the shot took 90s (from turning on the pump) and the taste wasn't bad, no over extracted astringent tastes, just a bit thin.

edit: another thing to check is the giant dial. I think depending on how tightly screwed in place it is and how tightly screwed in place your front plate is, it also affects the grind setting.

Rytopa

#13: Post by Rytopa » replying to takethingsapart » Jul 12, 2019, 2:51 am

Running on SSP burrs, yup i have torqued the front panel to 4NM each side. Calibrated the Zero point too.

what is your shot parameters? 1:2? 30 secs?

luca
Team HB

#14: Post by luca » Jul 12, 2019, 3:12 am

Luke, have you calibrated your zero point again? The SSP burrs are thicker than the stock ones, aren't they? So if you don't recalibrate then they'll touch probably at what might have been, say, 3 or 4 or the stock burrs?

Thanks for writing up about them. It's a nightmare trying to find credible information about what is now something like four different SSP burr sets.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1

takethingsapart

#15: Post by takethingsapart » Jul 12, 2019, 7:27 am

Yes. The SSPs need recalibration otherwise it would be touching. So when I removed the old burrs, i made sure to losen the dial to avoid turning on the machine with touching burrs once the ssp was installed.

While there are a few variations of these burrs, the geometry is the similar right? Results should be quite close

bettysnephew

#16: Post by bettysnephew » Jul 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Luke,
Just an FYI, your espresso settings with the SSP burrs very much line up with the dial settings I am using on my EK43s that has the Mahlkonig Turkish burrs and prebreaker. I have not done the sanding/alignment but the range you operate in since the burr change is almost identical. I also have the wider range for "acceptable" shots that you noted. It makes it much easier to dial in for day to day shots if you are not having to microtweak the dial.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

luca
Team HB

#17: Post by luca » Jul 12, 2019, 8:26 am

takethingsapart wrote:While there are a few variations of these burrs, the geometry is the similar right? Results should be quite close
For the money that they cost, I think it's reasonable to ask for a little more than that!

From memory, on the decent espresso machine forum, I think someone with the "low fines" or "ultra low fines" version commented that they are significantly different for espresso, with a very narrow useable range/high sensitivity to adjustment (bad) and that they sort of led to generic chocolatey flavours.
Rytopa wrote:Pulling at around 5.5 for epsresso would seriously put my alignment in doubt. :cry: :cry:
Do you and Luke have the same of the various options of SSP burrs? Looks like there are now four versions: high uniformity, low uniformity, low fines and cast. I didn't find SSP's descriptions here very informative and got nothing useful or constructive from the Australian importer, so before I pony up for one of them, I'd like to actually read some sort of informative experience from people.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1

takethingsapart

#18: Post by takethingsapart » Jul 12, 2019, 11:14 am

As far as i know there is the high and low uniformity and two different coatings. Combined that gives four options. But the thing is, I don't even think stock burrs vs ssp burrs have THAT much a difference in taste. Sure it improved the bottom line, but with some patience, both taste wonderful dialed in.

Part of my motivation for starting this thread is this feeling of similarity I got from coffee enthusiasts and hifi. I enjoy a good set of speakers or headphones, but I was always in the camp of thinking that most expensive hifi upgrades make tiny changes and are mostly placebo. Thankfully, the burrs do make functional differences and do impact usability. But if I am purely concerned with taste, then I feel like its not easy to justify the cost.

SSP was very friendly to communicate with though. Maybe their other burr design is purely for filter. They recommended high uniformity to me after I said I wanted espresso.

Overall, an aligned EK is the best grinder I've tasted so far. I would be perfectly happy with stock burrs. Buying an used EK and aligning might be the best bang for the buck

RobindG

#19: Post by RobindG » Jul 12, 2019, 11:20 am

luca wrote:...so before I pony up for one of them, I'd like to actually read some sort of informative experience from people.
Yes please!

Terranova
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Terranova » Jul 12, 2019, 3:53 pm

RobindG wrote:Yes please!
I am using the "low fines" for filter and syphon but spro is tasting great too.
The "high uniformity" are inside my EK43 and they extend the espresso range a bit, with a good set of Mahlkönig burrs you are also lucky but they are never made as accurate as SSP burrs.

A rule of thumb is, "the less forgiving, the more parallel the burrs".
When little changes have a huge impact, although still reproducible that is a good sign.