EK43 aligned? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
objective1 (original poster)

#11: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

Well that certainly solved that...

At least I have a path to try and solve

Thanx for the replies!

Jake_G
Team HB

#12: Post by Jake_G »

Yowza!

deklol wrote:Wow, great info - thanks!
Will this be the case for all burrs? I mean, could it be possible that the last "flat bit" on the teeth are on a slant?

You're welcome!
This would be the case on most burrs, yes. The skirt on pretty much every burr I've ever looked closely at has been a flat plane. I would not expect there to be a slant there.

My EK43 is aligned to the point where both the stationary and rotary burr produce the same result as your first picture, haven't gotten to the point where I can get it as the second (didn't know it was possible).

Also, very curious to know about your process aligning it - do you use shims? Sanding method? new burr carrier?

Cheers.
I'm not sure how you're getting a narrow band all the way around on both burrs. The simplest way to evaluate what a "perfect" wipe would look like is to ink up both burrs and simply line them up on a flat surface outside of the grinder and spin the top burr. Whatever pattern you get on the bench would be what I'd aim for with an alignment process.

The process I followed in this case was rather specific to the issue on this grinder. The problem was not the lower carrier, but rather how the upper carrier was positioned in relation to it. To fix it, I made a plug on the lathe that fit into the grinder body in place of the lower carrier bearing. I then mounted the grinder body onto the plug and spun the whole thing up in the lathe and was able to true up the face of the grinder body to the axis of rotation of the lower carrier. This completely corrected the issue without any shims or anything else needed.

Cheers!
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
deklol

#13: Post by deklol »

Jake_G wrote:The process I followed in this case was rather specific to the issue on this grinder. The problem was not the lower carrier, but rather how the upper carrier was positioned in relation to it. To fix it, I made a plug on the lathe that fit into the grinder body in place of the lower carrier bearing. I then mounted the grinder body onto the plug and spun the whole thing up in the lathe and was able to true up the face of the grinder body to the axis of rotation of the lower carrier. This completely corrected the issue without any shims or anything else needed.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply.

Lathe... :shock: Is there any way to make this "manually" ? I have seen the "Sanding technique", but that didn't produce the exceptional result you showed.
Cheers

#14: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

After cleaning and a more incremental torque down...

I'll see how coffee runs through it tomorrow

Jake_G
Team HB

#15: Post by Jake_G »

Nicely done.

Is the stationary burr wiping more cleanly, as well?
LMWDP #704

#16: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

didn't go there yet... too much other life in the way

and honestly my big old compak is working (wasting a lot of coffee but working)..

hoping to get back to this saga wednesday ish...

#17: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

Well. I'm thinking I'm getting a good wipe. (Might have to zoom in to get an accurate view) Thoughts?

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#18: Post by Jake_G »

That looks good to me.

How do the shots behave?
LMWDP #704

#19: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

Saturday. The saga continues.... Funny, I lost so much confidence that I even went back and re-watched the ' how to adjust taste with grind and dose videos'. To see if I had just been labotimized (spelling?) in my sleep.... And my big old conical is just as solid as ever.

So I'm not willing to perturb that again until I have plenty of time to f around....

Stay tuned....

Thanx for all your feedback

deklol

#20: Post by deklol »

Hey,

Nice job... Just a thought, I see there are plenty coffee residue in the grinder... these small particles can be thrown around and wipe off paint where the burrs actually are not touching -this has happened to me before and confused the heck out of me many times.

When you have time, I suggest you wipe it as clean as possible in the grinding chamber and then look at the results :)

Cheers.