EG-1 Ultra burrs for espresso

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tompoland

#1: Post by tompoland »

I have a Weber EG-1 and I have been using the Core burrs for straight espresso (light medium and dark) for 12 months now with great results. I have a set of the Ultra burrs and would love to hear from anyone who has used them for espresso. Very interested in your experiences, impressions and recommendations. Many thanks.
A little obsessed.

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

Search @erik82. Erik uses the Ultra burrs.

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

I you want to do pourover and only buy light roasts for espresso then it's worth it otherwise just stick with the CORE burrs. I've been using the Ultra burrs in my EG-1 for the last 2 years exclusively and they're the right burr for me. I only buy light roasts and do pourover for 50%. If I have darker then medium beans I prefer the Commandante.

And they do need about 30kg to fully break-in so take your time. And yes they're finicky for espresso but become much easier after complete seasoning. I don't really find them finicky anymore and can pull great shots with the same ease as with the CORE burrs. Trick here is to use a max 7 bar profile instead of 9 bar if the flow becomes unsteady which is why I love the pressure gauge from Gabor.

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Zaneemomo »

I've used both burr sets. Light to medium roast beans. I prefer the ultra for pourovers, but they can be finicky for espresso. Since I use the grinder for both, I went back to the core burrs.

tompoland (original poster)

#5: Post by tompoland (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:I you want to do pourover and only buy light roasts for espresso then it's worth it otherwise just stick with the CORE burrs. I've been using the Ultra burrs in my EG-1 for the last 2 years exclusively and they're the right burr for me. I only buy light roasts and do pourover for 50%. If I have darker then medium beans I prefer the Commandante.

And they do need about 30kg to fully break-in so take your time. And yes they're finicky for espresso but become much easier after complete seasoning. I don't really find them finicky anymore and can pull great shots with the same ease as with the CORE burrs. Trick here is to use a max 7 bar profile instead of 9 bar if the flow becomes unsteady which is why I love the pressure gauge from Gabor.
Very helpful thanks.
A little obsessed.