EG-1 new version - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » May 17, 2019, 2:16 am

If you want to ensure parallelism, threads are probably the wrong answer, they are just the most reasonable. A reasonable length telescoping cylinder adjusted by a screw at the far end might do a better job, but if "reasonable" length turns out to be 12" or more are you willing to have a grinder that's over a foot taller and then you still have to get the beans to the burrs. Threads like we see now are the possibly the most reasonable solution if you include packaging and price in the equation.

Ira

HoldTheOnions

Postby HoldTheOnions » May 17, 2019, 1:35 pm

CwD wrote:What would it cost to get CERN to make me a grinder? Get me some threads so finely machined I won't have any stray bosons interfering.

The real problem is gravitational waves. My grind goes batty every dang time a star less than 5 billion light years goes supernova. It's no joke.

Feuros

Postby Feuros » May 19, 2019, 11:45 am

Has anyone in Canada purchased one of these recently and can share what additional fees (taxes/duty/import) they had to pay on arrival?

John49

Postby John49 » replying to Feuros » May 19, 2019, 12:42 pm

Just GST, no duty.

Dan.in.NY

Postby Dan.in.NY » Jul 14, 2019, 11:25 am

Has anyone in USA purchased one of these recently and if so can you share what additional fees (taxes/duty/import/tariffs) you had to pay on arrival?

txxt

Postby txxt » replying to Dan.in.NY » Jul 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

Paid ~$208 I believe in total for mine that I got about 12 days ago.

bpchia

Postby bpchia » Jul 29, 2019, 9:49 pm

Has anyone tested the runout on the burr carriers on the EG-1? (marker for parallelism) Furthermore, the variance in runout between different EG-1s?

I know Kafatek Monolith advertises "tolerances of thousandths of an inch" and have seen deflection gauge videos of Monolith Flat Max showing essentially no runout but have not been able to find anything similar for the EG-1.

I like everything about the EG-1 but would like it to have a similar accuracy of machining as the Monoliths...