EG-1 new version - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chris_n

Postby chris_n » May 15, 2019, 3:32 pm

when you are aligning the EG burrs, how tight are the burrs touching?

i noticed that once they're aligned with burrs touching, as soon as i adjust the setting back to 'espresso', the burrs feel out of phase again. and if i move the grind setting back to where it was when i was aligning, it's out of phase as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » May 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

If there is any slop in the threads, the alignment will change with adjustment. The amount of slop will affect how much and in what directions the misalignment occurs.

Ira

taelvin

Postby taelvin » replying to ira » May 16, 2019, 1:28 pm

Total layman here at mechanical stuff but what is "slop" in relation to a thread?

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » May 16, 2019, 1:39 pm

Go to home depot, pick up a large bolt from one of the bins and then thread a nut on it, then notice how much the nun can be moved around, that's slop. In order for threads to work there has to be space between the male and female pieces. How much space at some level is related to the quality of the threads, but if the environment is dirty, say a farm tractor, the thread fit needs to be sloppy or they will get stuck from all the dirt and dust, if a precision measuring instrument, there is a lot of work put into making threads with no gap. A grinder would prefer threads with no gap, but coffee is dusty and threads with no gap are very expensive to make.

Ira

chris_n

Postby chris_n » May 16, 2019, 6:25 pm

i also noticed that going from a 'filter coffee' setting to 'espresso' setting can't be done in one full swing. does anyone else notice this?

i can go from espresso to filter in one go, no problem. but going the other direction plays out something like this:

1. turn adjustment dial toward espresso one full unit (7 to 6) or until resistance is felt.
2. turn grinder on and then off
3. turn adjustment dial toward espresso one full unit (6 to 5) or until resistance is felt.
4. turn grinder on and then off.

etc etc until espresso setting is reached, in my case, around "0".

all these adjustments are done with the grinder off, because if i remember correctly, that is what's stated in the manual. does anyone adjust this grinder while it's on?

Beewee

Postby Beewee » May 16, 2019, 10:35 pm

In general, pretty much all grinders require the motor to run a least for a tiny bit while adjusting the burrs to a finer setting unless you have just cleaned your burrs of all residual grinds.

The burrs will trap some small bits of coffee grinds between the burrs, even if you're single dosing. When you adjust finer, the burrs are being brought closer but the tiny bits of residual ground coffee will at some point keep the burrs from being brought closer because they are in the way. By running the motor, you're grinding those smaller particles into even smaller bits to make room for the burrs to come closer together. Then you rinse and repeat.

The newer generation monolith grinders that does not require a locking knob allow you to run the motor while adjusting finer so you don't need to pulse the motor between adjustments while going finer.

chipman

Postby chipman » May 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

I'm pretty sure LynWebber is adamant about adjusting the grinder while it's not running. I've had my EG-1 for three years and that is how i've Done it.

taelvin

Postby taelvin » May 17, 2019, 1:12 am

ira wrote:Go to home depot, pick up a large bolt from one of the bins and then thread a nut on it, then notice how much the nun can be moved around, that's slop. In order for threads to work there has to be space between the male and female pieces. How much space at some level is related to the quality of the threads, but if the environment is dirty, say a farm tractor, the thread fit needs to be sloppy or they will get stuck from all the dirt and dust, if a precision measuring instrument, there is a lot of work put into making threads with no gap. A grinder would prefer threads with no gap, but coffee is dusty and threads with no gap are very expensive to make.

Ira

Thank you for this explanation! I could see what you were describing very well. But if this is the case then what you are saying is that if Chris_n EG-1 is moving like that after changing grind setting then the threads are not as precision engineered to have no gap?

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » replying to taelvin » May 17, 2019, 1:37 am

The threads can't have no gap so the question is, do they have little enough slop that it does not create a problem. No matter what all the Monolith fan boys seem to indicate, all the Monoliths, actually, all grinders have the same issue, but on the really good ones, it seems to be small enough it does not cause a problem. There are ways to minimize the effect but it's effectively impossible to get rid of it.

Consider part of the problem. If your trying to hold zero tolerances it's import that the machine making the part be in a temperature stabilized environment and the metal being cut also be temperature stabilized and both of those temperatures be maintained during the complete machining process. Changes in temperature change the size of the machine, the part and everything involved. It's especially hard because cutting causes heat.

But, manufacturers seems to be figuring out ways to work around those issues and make almost seemingly perfect grinders.

Ira

CwD

Postby CwD » May 17, 2019, 2:05 am

What would it cost to get CERN to make me a grinder? Get me some threads so finely machined I won't have any stray bosons interfering.