EG-1 new version - Page 17

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
U2jewel

#161: Post by U2jewel »

Using the core burrs that came with My EG-1 v2 that arrived about 2 months ago, I have been pulling about 20 shots a day, I would also adjust frequently throughout the day to make a couple of V60"s. The ease and consistency for shifting grind size for different brew methods is brilliant. Core burrs are the ultimate set of "jack of all trades" burrs for me. Core burrs work equally well in espresso and V60, but I feel it excels more in espresso. In fact, I was so content with the brew performance (and that I didn"t need to shake off the fines with the shaker anymore, like I had to with my other flat burr grinder) it took me only until last week to finally bust open the box of ultra burrs that I ordered together, to finally put it through its paces.

I should have taken a video to show how easy and quick the whole process was. changing out the burrs to ultra took only 1 tool (4mm hex?) and about 15 minutes in total. It incleded cleaning around in general, also it was my first try so I proceeded with care and caution, and took extra care to make sure the burrs aligned perfectly.

Now I know my way around the grinder better, I think 5 minutes is a realistic goal, not that it's a race against time or anything....

Anyway, the supposed most unimodal burr set, the ultra burrs..I could immediately see the difference. Touching the grind and feeling the difference is one thing.. You know there's a big jump when you can see the difference. looked like sand or fine sea salt..hardly any fines/dust to speak of.

Maybe the amount of V60 brewing I do isn't substantial enough to get them to be fully seasoned in anytime soon, so I wont reach a full conclusion about them for a while yet.

I might try to take a GoPro video when I decide to switch back to Core burrs, just to show you guys if you"re curious, how it"s all done, and how the magnets glide the burrs into its rightful position.

The only gripe I have is that once in a while (happens once a fortnight or so), a single small peaberry might get left behind (above the burrs) and would only get ground out when shifting grind size settings between espresso and filter. It sometimes comes out into the blind shaker when I give the grinder a quick pulse after adjustment.

erik82

#162: Post by erik82 »

You need to give me a picture of a "pair of .7 pi rad rigid arcs" because google wasn't very helpfull :mrgreen: . I did buy a Wera torque screwdriver set (1.2-3.0Nm) for tightening the lower mount. The last part was done with a pistol grip screwdriver.

After aligning the EG1 a couple of times with the different burr sets I've tried it became easier every time. It's certainly doable if you have the patience. Also keep checking the first couple of days and adjust if necessary (it was for me the first 2 times although just slightly off). On espresso range if you check alignment it seems off but when you clean the grinder and tighten it to where the burrs touch it's much easier to feel if it's off even by a very slight margin.

Eliz

#163: Post by Eliz »

erik82 wrote:There are way more Monoliths around than there are EG-1's. I've got number 122 which is one of the last ones of the V1 and there where around 60 of the V2. The Monolith has around 60 per batch meaning there are a couple hundreds in the wild. So if the EG-1 is a mass product what does that mean for the Monolith :wink: .
I am not sure, but I do know to all my readings that there are lots of followers for the monolith.

Eg1 company does other machine as well and they are based in Taiwan. But the owners are here in the United States.

Denis makes all of his! Now That is special! I would pay more for monolith based on that alone! Eg1 is based made in Taiwan and it is from a factory. lyn or web are not making the eg1 themselves, it is done in a factory in Taiwan.

Denis is very passionate about the things he make and I know that by reading lots of postings. I do not know him personally. He is a perfectionist and I respect that. I had email interaction with the ceo of Lynwebber and I am more confused of what he says than I have with anyone else in this world.

Basically all I am saying is that I would spend my money on Denis products than Lynwebber products because I know it is a passion of his and I enjoy that passion. Lynwebber is a designer and engineer, they do not product their own stuffs, they give it to a factory to make the eg-1.

That is all I wanted to say. Even if Denis massed produces it, I will still buy his products. Lol!

Eliz

#164: Post by Eliz »

johnny4lsu wrote:Mass produced may be the wrong term. The monolith has a reputation for extremely tight tolerances and alignment. Not many people talk about the same for the EG1. Doesn't mean it isn't great!
What company are you saying that mass produced may be the wrong term?

Thanks for clarifying.

Chert

#165: Post by Chert »

erik82 wrote:You need to give me a picture of a "pair of .7 pi rad rigid arcs" because google wasn't very helpfull :mrgreen: .
I was trying to describe an arc 1/3 the circumference of the pair of burrs and as tall, with the ID matching the OD of the burrs close enough to use two to hold the burrs to be concentricity. I am learning from Larry that concentricity is a term for what I understand user alignment to achieve in EG-1. I think parallelism is part of the grinder design.. I could place one such arc on each side of the burrs and hold alignment while tightening the hex screws. Does that make more sense?

I should work on a picture rather than borrowing one that really doesn't suffice, but my computer capability is not so great for that right now. this one is about .3 pi rad: (That is, if I have my basic trigonometry correct.)

LMWDP #198

erik82

#166: Post by erik82 »

Now I undestand your question :D . That can work but the biggest problem is in holding the burrs in place while you're tightening the lower bearing mount. Getting the burrs parallel isn't the issue here. Just use the instructions ion the website and you'll be fine.

https://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/care ... -burr-set/

This works perfect but needs some practice.

Chert

#167: Post by Chert replying to erik82 »

I guess I don't understand how you define perfect. I though perfect would be no offset around the entire circumference of the two burrs. and my point is that I don't think our pudgy or skinny fingers can do so as well as we would like the burrs align.

This is how LW defines perfect. Is it?

from
https://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/care ... -burr-set/
LMWDP #198

erik82

#168: Post by erik82 »

That's indeed how LWW defines it. It worked perfect for me but if you have a better solution that you tried and that worked please post it as I'm always open for improvements.

U2jewel

#169: Post by U2jewel »

Chert wrote:I guess I don't understand how you define perfect. I though perfect would be no offset around the entire circumference of the two burrs. and my point is that I don't think our pudgy or skinny fingers can do so as well as we would like the burrs align.

This is how LW defines perfect. Is it?
Touch sensitivity in human fingertips - truly amazing.
In an earlier comment I made in this thread on a separate topic about the grind output difference of the ultra burrs, I said that I could see the difference, let alone feel the difference; insinuating that the change was significant.
Point being, our fingertips can feel the differences that our eyes can only dream of detecting.

Edit: I think I can feel the grind difference between settings that equate to about 5 seconds difference in espresso pull time.
Also I just decided to Google the topic, and found an article that says in a nutshell that we can feel differences in microns.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/human-touc ... ial-256819

erik82

#170: Post by erik82 »

I was also pretty amazed at how I could feel the slightest misalignment with my fingertips that I couldn't see with the naked eye. I took macro pictures and zoomed in on a computer screen where you could see the alignment on a pixel scale and it was damn near perfect. This method really does work well for aligning the EG1 burrs.