EG-1 exit chute flapper loosening

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

I made a photo, but it is even below my acceptable quality. I could try again tomorrow.

A few days ago the grinder starting clicking in a new way without affecting grind speed or quality.

I disassembled and learned that the plastic part of the exit chute clicker is no longer well adherent to the rim and so grounds are getting into the space between plastic and metal. The sweeper bits now strike that plastic film as they sweep around the exit path, making that clicking.

Have any EG-1 users experienced this problem? Do you have a solution? I thought I might remove it, clean everything and try to replace it but I would need an adhesive that would also keep it in place 4 years like the original one.
LMWDP #198

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

On the V2 the plastic sleeve fits in the chute but moves freely with the action of the clicker.

Quester

#3: Post by Quester »

Chert wrote:I made a photo, but it is even below my acceptable quality. I could try again tomorrow.

A few days ago the grinder starting clicking in a new way without affecting grind speed or quality.

I disassembled and learned that the plastic part of the exit chute clicker is no longer well adherent to the rim and so grounds are getting into the space between plastic and metal. The sweeper bits now strike that plastic film as they sweep around the exit path, making that clicking.

Have any EG-1 users experienced this problem? Do you have a solution? I thought I might remove it, clean everything and try to replace it but I would need an adhesive that would also keep it in place 4 years like the original one.
Yep. Been there. The sent me a PDF template so I could cut new ones. I used a plastic report folder from Office Depot as the material. I cut several out-I'm on my second one. I attach it with double-sided tape. It's a very easy job. Message me with your email, and I'll send the file.

Chert (original poster)

#4: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Thanks, Quester.

I would also be happy to forward the pdf to others.

I don't see notebook divider lying around. I am trying with plastic sheet I have available, a notebook cover material (probably too flimsy) and a sheet of Xray film (probably too thick). I removed the original one and cleaned it up, so I may try to reapply that. My first effort was shipping tape, folded over for the non-taped part of the plastic sleeve, but that fell off within one day. Since that effort I have used the grinder with no plastic sleeve in place. Retention is about 1.5 gram until I run and flick some more. That's okay, just not the usual excellent performance. I have not used any oily beans, that would likely be a bona fide PITA.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

The X ray film attached with double sided tape (Scotch) is working well.
LMWDP #198

Quester

#6: Post by Quester replying to Chert »

Good to hear.

I tried a couple of different plastics until I found one that worked well, then I made a bunch so I never have to do it again.

I also tried with no plastic, just like you did, but not only does it increase retention, it increases unpredictably of dose.

The only thing I didn't mention in my email to you is being thorough with surface prep before applying the plastic with tape. I used rubbing alcohol and made sure the surface was pristine.