Early DF64 vs DF64v comparison

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kran

#1: Post by Kran »

I've only seen one other DF64v thread so thought I'd give an early impression on my experience with stock DF64v compared to my original DF64 w/ SSP HU (espresso) burrs.

Likes: All metal trim (no wrap), the two piece mag chute (can see the low retention, easy to clean), whisper quiet (like a computer fan turning on) motor, bean loading is straight through (Df64 og is tapered causing issues), variable speed is nice but haven't tested extensively, grind setting indicator and adjustability of 0 indicator

Don't like: the wood parts (would prefer metal cap like on DF64 og), the anti popcorn device isn't done correctly (metal blocker is smaller than where the beans go in so you still get frags flying out), don't like the bellow but need to have it there to block popcorning (removing the antipopcorn device and using only the wood top is ok but doesn't fit to my liking, again would prefer metal here), had a stall on lowish RPM. the motor seems to take a second (audibly) to wind up giving you that moment of "oh crud is it going to stall" when putting beans in first then hitting the grind button

Taste: I seasoned with an old bag of hairbender and an old bag of apollo. Now drinking a 4 week old bag of black cat. Taste fine but this is comparing to a well seasoned DF64 with the SSP burrs.

In the future I'll either swap in my SSP cast (currently living in the Ode) or get some SSP MP to run side-by-side with the HU. I'm happy with the purchase. Will need to think up a way to have a similar portafilter holder as on the DF64 og. I don't like the separate dosing cup workflow.

Makanmata

#2: Post by Makanmata »

I ordered the DF64v when it was announced and it arrived last week, worked for a single shot, then died. According to one US distributer, many units are having problems and the manufacturer is changing production to address the issues. I would stay away from these at least for the time being.

Kran (original poster)

#3: Post by Kran (original poster) »

3 bags through the grinder and got curious so I took a poke inside. Interesting things I noticed and appreciated:

-Grind adjustment has a large bearing where it interacts with the upper burr carrier, nice touch
-wave washer is interesting, very firm compared to the 3 spring approach of the original DF64
-upper burr carrier orientation was marked with sharpie, one less thing to think about or remember doing one first dissassembly

Kran (original poster)

#4: Post by Kran (original poster) »

as a FYI, mine came from miicoffee. Shipped from the west coast day and took like a week to get to me on the east coast. I got serial #12.

Thinking a swap in of the SSP cast burrs next week.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Makanmata wrote:I ordered the DF64v when it was announced and it arrived last week, worked for a single shot, then died. According to one US distributer, many units are having problems and the manufacturer is changing production to address the issues. I would stay away from these at least for the time being.
To help keep this thread on topic, I have merged this follow-on discussion to Turin DF64V Disappointment.
Dan Kehn