Doserless grinders... the "flat top electric stove" of coffee? - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IMAWriter

#41: Post by IMAWriter »

another_jim wrote:If ever there was a group that obsesses about molehills, it's those getting hung up on the coffee left inside the doser. Try weighing it sometime.

Then screw off the top burr and weigh the coffee inside the grind chamber. That's the mountain.
Amen, brother.
I have the same argument concerning residual chaff. So it falls to the floor. Whats the big deal about sweeping up some chaff, instead of obsessing about it?
mildly disagreeing with both Jim and Chris, I'd say that we folks with wee little 49mm (and smaller) baskets (watch the comments :lol: ) find it hard with S\J doser that spray toy the left. A drop down mechanisim like the Mahlkoenig doserless Vario would be welcome in this house. I'll be anxious to see the Baratza vario perform next week in Atlanta.

Compass Coffee

#42: Post by Compass Coffee »

IMAWriter wrote: mildly disagreeing with both Jim and Chris, I'd say that we folks with wee little 49mm (and smaller) baskets (watch the comments :lol: ) find it hard with S\J doser that spray toy the left. A drop down mechanisim like the Mahlkoenig doserless Vario would be welcome in this house. I'll be anxious to see the Baratza vario perform next week in Atlanta.
Have you tried adding an Elvinator?
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#43: Post by IMAWriter »

Compass Coffee wrote:Have you tried adding an Elvinator?
I saw it on the EPNW website...unfortunately, I had already sold my SJ.
Is Andy S going to sue? :lol:

Compass Coffee

#44: Post by Compass Coffee replying to IMAWriter »

I didn't buy it! (Not when I have 6 of them to do at the moment.) Just finished #1. It is nice having the d/l pdf template. Way easier than figuring shape/cuts out yourself. :)

If Andy didn't patent it he who snoozes loses... But it does illustrate one of the too often heard comments from some professionals about hobbyists being inferior. Bah! Seen numerous hobbyist ideas and implementations later find their way to the commercial world. Not just in espresso arena either of course.
Mike McGinness

IMAWriter

#45: Post by IMAWriter »

Andy's schnozzola was really just the exit snout, but worked pretty darn well, but had to be replace often, due mostly to my clumsiness.