Doserless grinders... the "flat top electric stove" of coffee? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wildbwilson

#21: Post by wildbwilson »

If all these fancy single surface cooktops are s**t does that mean all the food cooked on them is cr*p? Does any of it have to do with the cook? My doserless Major is Fantastic- no clumping,clogging, etc. A big step up in flavour clarity from my Mini E and I do not have static issues. If these grinders are so bad then why in heck do many of the top notch coffee shops up and down the west coast have them (the Robur in particular). Recently I've been to Intelly in LA - Doserless Robur- the comment from the barista was 'I love it". Billy Wilson in Portland - same, Olympia Coffee , Elysian Room in Vancouver-Robur doserless as well. The shots I had at these fine establishments were on average, great. Even the local La Marzocco dealer has one in the showroom and the comment from the tech was, 'the Anfim collects dust these days'. Now if all these fine establishments are jumping on these machines can they be all that bad?

another_jim
Team HB

#22: Post by another_jim »

If ever there was a group that obsesses about molehills, it's those getting hung up on the coffee left inside the doser. Try weighing it sometime.

Then screw off the top burr and weigh the coffee inside the grind chamber. That's the mountain.
Jim Schulman

dsc

#23: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

can't we just agree that some prefer doser fitted grinders and some prefer doserless? and that's for various reasons. To each his own as they say.

Now moving on to the next meaningless discussion: why black is a better colour than red:)

Regards,
dsc.

wildbwilson

#24: Post by wildbwilson »

Jim, as these machines are designed for high volume commercial settings does the retained coffee really have an impact if the grinder is being run every couple of minutes? I can see where it may have an impact on home use but I've figured out a work around, so I'm happy.

Bluecold

#25: Post by Bluecold »

Wildbwilson, no of course it doesn't mean the food cooked on it is by definition crap, Chris stated that it was harder to do and that it makes you nuts.
But i like to add some things to that list
-Digital TV which supposedly gives you better quality but you have to deal with a decoder designed by monkeys
-remote controlled sunshades, because it is slower, the remote breaks or is lost, or the whole thing and the manufacturer won't give a refund because it is clearly stated in the manual that the sun can damage the sensitive receptors.
-Digital cameras that give cleaner pictures cheaper but the camera suppliers only give you slow zooms, so you end up with the same grain and although you don't pay film, your camera is worth nothing after 6 months and you need to buy extra harddiscs and a faster computer since everyone who can get their hands on your camera just sprays, hoping they get a funny shot. If you delete those photo's you're a mean person so costwise it all evens out except that you don't get as nice colors, not as much dynamic range, newer camera's have crappy build quality, small viewfinders and are generally frustrating.
-noise cancelling headphones since maybe the outside noise is blocked (and you don't hear the truck coming) you hear the noise and imperfections is the presentation of 'phones better and you would have been better off with the cheaper better sounding cans.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

malachi (original poster)

#26: Post by malachi (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:If ever there was a group that obsesses about molehills, it's those getting hung up on the coffee left inside the doser. Try weighing it sometime.

Then screw off the top burr and weigh the coffee inside the grind chamber. That's the mountain.

ding ding ding ding

we have a winner
What's in the cup is what matters.

keepitsimple

#27: Post by keepitsimple »

I must be SO easily pleased.

Mazzer mini-e seems to work fine for me.

Induction hob (cooktop) also works fine for me. Just a quick wipe over to clean it, and it's faster than the gas hob, although I still use that for Wok cooking (and non-magnetic pans).

Surely no-one still buys the old fashioned halogen things ?

Having read some of these posts, I guess I'd better start looking for the all the problems I haven't managed to find yet :?

another_jim
Team HB

#28: Post by another_jim »

wildbwilson wrote:Jim, as these machines are designed for high volume commercial settings does the retained coffee really have an impact if the grinder is being run every couple of minutes? I can see where it may have an impact on home use but I've figured out a work around, so I'm happy.
For years, I've been wondering how stable the impacted grinds inside the grind chamber are. Do they stay put? Do they exchange with the fresh coffee? What percentage of a dose is from this stuff in the chamber, and how much is fresh coffee from the hopper?

Unfortunately, the only experiment I could think of is dying the coffee in the grind chamber with green or blue food dye, seeing how much ends up in the doser, and the throwing away the grinder once done.

Sponsors welcome.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#29: Post by HB »

another_jim wrote:Unfortunately, the only experiment I could think of is dying the coffee in the grind chamber with green or blue food dye, seeing how much ends up in the doser, and the throwing away the grinder once done.
C'mon Jim, where is your "out of the box" thinking? Scientists mapped out the coffee genome years ago. Should be a simple matter to determine the ground coffee composition by genetic analysis using two coffees. :roll:
Dan Kehn

RegulatorJohnson

#30: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

what about using some grindz and seeing how much white you get after you grind the grindz?
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA