Doserless conversion Mazzer Super Jolly - Will Mini funnel fit?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#1: Post by pumpkinscastle » Oct 12, 2019, 8:30 pm

Having lived with the ugly soda bottle conversion for a while, I am contemplating getting the shiny Mazzer stainless steel funnel. I am not into cutting stainless steel myself so other mods aren't really an option.

As steep at it is, I could justify the Mini funnel for $200ish bucks. :x However, the Super Jolly funnel is even pricier at almost $300. I don't need its added size.

Can someone confirm whether the Mini funnel will fit the Super Jolly body and will accommodate the original doser lid?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII » Oct 12, 2019, 9:19 pm

Espresso Parts sells both, and they are not exactly the same size. I don't know if the Mini funnel will fit the Super Jolly, but maybe. I suggest you call Espresso Parts and ask.

https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-mi ... oser-chute

https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-su ... y-e-funnel

Rocky

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by sweaner » Oct 12, 2019, 9:55 pm

I believe that it should fit. I think that the dosers are interchangeable, so this should be as well.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Freddy Camacho

#4: Post by Freddy Camacho » Oct 12, 2019, 11:08 pm

Theres another neat alternative.

He posted a few vids as well in youtube.

https://home-doserless.com/

Hope it helps

pumpkinscastle

#5: Post by pumpkinscastle » Oct 13, 2019, 10:52 am

I love that little mod. Awesome and sleek! I suppose it depends on the little air ball getting the chute clean. Same for the top lid as the SJ tends to gather bean fragments on those ledgers. Now I am very much tempted by this. :D Anyone bought it before and tried it?

truemagellen

#6: Post by truemagellen » Oct 13, 2019, 11:15 am

If you are going to do wdt anyway skip the funnel. It is a lot to clean and static gets crazy in the winter. Plus for the price you could sell yours and get a used doserless electronic which manages static better than just adding the funnel.

pumpkinscastle

#7: Post by pumpkinscastle » Oct 13, 2019, 5:50 pm

I doubt I'd be able to get a used electronic SJ for the price of the funnel and my old SJ. I also need the exit chute open so I can clean it out.
The SJ is fitted with SSP brew burrs and will be mostly used for drip with the occasional espresso grind.

I am really curious about the link that Freddy has posted. Has anyone bought and installed the mod from Daniel Wong?

They also make a neat lid with a center hole to use the air ball. That would be so convenient to get those bean shards off the ledge. With my current routine, I always have to pick up the tamper, use the brush there, reinsert the tamper, brush the exit chute multiple times, requiring the motor to be turned on and off an extra three times.

truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen » replying to pumpkinscastle » Oct 13, 2019, 6:55 pm

I see used electronics in great condition in the 500 range on forums. A used SJ restaurants still want them so they easily sell for 300 in craigslist if you spiff them up a bit

Freddy Camacho

#9: Post by Freddy Camacho » Oct 13, 2019, 8:26 pm

pumpkinscastle wrote:I doubt I'd be able to get a used electronic SJ for the price of the funnel and my old SJ. I also need the exit chute open so I can clean it out.
The SJ is fitted with SSP brew burrs and will be mostly used for drip with the occasional espresso grind.

I am really curious about the link that Freddy has posted. Has anyone bought and installed the mod from Daniel Wong?

They also make a neat lid with a center hole to use the air ball. That would be so convenient to get those bean shards off the ledge. With my current routine, I always have to pick up the tamper, use the brush there, reinsert the tamper, brush the exit chute multiple times, requiring the motor to be turned on and off an extra three times.
Through our emails, he has been very nice and responsive. At the time i was looking for major mod. Which wasnt ready. Only the SJ was in production.

He said he will notify me once the major mod was ready.

Few months on, i got an email saying it is ready. But i have sold my major by then.

pumpkinscastle

#10: Post by pumpkinscastle » Oct 13, 2019, 9:24 pm

Well, thanks all who chimed in. I went for Daniel's mod and ordered it tonight. It's $150 including top lid and shipping. I'll report back once I have it installed. It looks neat and clean. If it also works as advertised, it's a great deal in my view.