Doser Accuracy

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cafeIKE

#1: Post by cafeIKE »

How repeatable are grinder dosers when used as designed?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I've heard around 1/3 gram; never tested it
Jim Schulman

Fullsack

#3: Post by Fullsack »

Not exactly on point, but not worth its own thread.

I put 6 grams of coffee through my Macap this AM, brushed it out afterwards and weighed the grinds that were left in the grinder. A little over 1 gram remained. I clean the grinder after each session, so in the first grind of a session I am producing only 5 grams of coffee and in subsequent grindings, I am getting 6 grams.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

cafeIKE (original poster)

#4: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

By "as designed" I meant grind enough coffee to fill the doser, catch several single pulls of the doser and weigh each dose.

An interesting side test would be to refill the doser and let it sit for 30 minutes, then repeat the dose weighing test.

I don't have a doser or I would do the test myself. Any Angelenos willing to supply the grinder, I'll supply the coffee and scale.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:How repeatable are grinder dosers when used as designed?
If you remind me after next week when I'm back in town, I'll test it with old beans. From what I've read, they are accurate to less than a gram when used as designed (i.e., filled well above the wedges). Some grinders like the Cimbali Max and Mazzer Kony have auto-dosers, i.e., the motor runs every 12 pulls to keep the doser full. The grinder's main switch can override this behavior.

BTW, is this a question of idle curiosity or is there a deeper meaning?
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

HB wrote:BTW, is this a question of idle curiosity or is there a deeper meaning?
Much has been written of late of the need for a 0.1g scale. :roll:

For the past couple of days, I've been grinding as normal into the PF, then weighing before tamping. Doses of about 14.5g±0.5g are pretty consistent.

In bars where I've had the best and most consistent shots, the barista simply pulls the doser, tamps a bit, locks and pulls. Nary a scale to found. If dosers have a reasonable repeatability of say ±0.5g, then that more or less establishes the bench mark for consistency.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:If dosers have a reasonable repeatability of say ±0.5g, then that more or less establishes the bench mark for consistency.
That's certainly accurate enough for me.

In Exercises for tuning your barista techniques, I advocated within 0.5 grams, though I would not fuss too much if it's within 0.7 grams. Sometimes I'll intentionally shift the dose to change the pour time; my rough rule of thumb for most blends is that one gram adds/subtracts about four seconds of pour time.
Dan Kehn

Psyd

#8: Post by Psyd »

cafeIKE wrote: In bars where I've had the best and most consistent shots, the barista simply pulls the doser, tamps a bit, locks and pulls. Nary a scale to found.
No leveling or distribution involved? Most pros will dose by volume, using a version of Stockfleth's, the Chicago Chop, etc. Once you get the 'fill 'er up' method down, the doses will be fairly similar.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

0.5 gram my be fine for day to day use but when you are trying to compare shots between grinders, or machines, you need to be as accurate as possible. I have a 0.1g scale and only use it when I am doing bench testing or blending.
Dave Stephens

#10: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

Psyd wrote:No leveling or distribution involved? Most pros will dose by volume, using a version of Stockfleth's, the Chicago Chop, etc. Once you get the 'fill 'er up' method down, the doses will be fairly similar.
Asking for a 'Chicago Chop' in Italy will probably get you directions to the steakhouse in the nearest chain American hotel. :lol: