Does anyone know how much coffee is left in Baratza Vario+ when the shutoff hopper is closed and removed?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cwm9

#1: Post by cwm9 »

I see the Vario has a shut-off hopper available. If I close the hopper and THEN grind a 7g shot, how much would be left behind in the grinder?

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by DamianWarS » replying to cwm9 »

I have the former Vario but it works the same. mine is the W model. I'm actually travelling and won't have access to my machine for a while. I was trying to think of the answer because it's something I have figured out before but I think I'm just guessing. I want to say 10g but then I get convinced it's a whole lot more. you will just to fill the hopper, close it, grind the coffee and weigh the output to be sure. sorry can't help you further but please if you have an answer add it to the thread so if someone runs across the thread the answer will be there. I'll have access to my Vario in January, I'm happy to check it but it will just take a while before I can do it. When I return I'll also be bringing with me the upgraded parts so it will essentially be turned into a Vario-W+

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

I am not sure of what the advantage of the shut off hopper is. One of the nice things about the Vario is it's small and pretty light -- I just take off the portafilter holder assembly (which adds a bunch of weight) and shake the unused beans back into the bean jar at the end of the day, and then grind out what little remains. I purge for maybe 2 sec in the morning when I've loaded up with fresh beans to be extra safe from any retained stale beans...

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by DamianWarS »

The single-dose hopper may be of interest (assuming this is for single-dosing). The lid can double as a pump for single dosing by pulling it up and pushing down to more easily empty the grinding chamber in which case you measure what you want and don't worry about what the chamber holds without a hopper. It's compatible with the Encore, Virtuoso, Vario and Forte grinders so it should work well.

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

cwm9 wrote:I see the Vario has a shut-off hopper available. If I close the hopper and THEN grind a 7g shot, how much would be left behind in the grinder?
Late reply, but depending on the bean size and density there will be 10g give or take below the shut-off in my experience. Keep in mind that without the weight of the beans left in the hopper, those 7g you want to grind will basically be ground at a coarser setting.. What I'm trying to explain is that 'single dosing' and hopper dosing requires different grinder settings (even if the hopper is still attached :mrgreen:)

SteveRhinehart

#6: Post by SteveRhinehart »

jgood wrote:I am not sure of what the advantage of the shut off hopper is.
I single dose with mine and close the gate to minimize popcorning.

Regarding the OP's question: it depends on the density of your coffee of course but I'd guesstimate between 10-15 grams left in the grinder once the gate is closed, before grinding your shot. If you want to know more precisely the amount you can of course just grind the excess one time and measure that.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

You could put 20 grams in the hopper, close the gate, dump the hopper and subtract what you dumped from 20. This would not include any coffee in the grind path of the burrs.

With the gate closed and a full hopper, you could twist off the hopper and empty the beans in a mason jar when you wanted to switch coffees or didn't want to leave the beans in the hopper if you were leaving for a trip, etc.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272