MDX - Grind setting going finer and finer - need help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tall_paul

#1: Post by tall_paul »

I am using a Nuova Simonelli MDX. I bought it off craigslist from a guy who works for a shop/distributor (in other words no idea how much it was used before I purchased).

For the past couple months it has been great. Recently I have had to continually make the grind setting finer and finer. I have slowly moved the adjustment from a #5 up to #8, this is rather vague but if you're familiar with the machine it provides some context... This problem is rather annoying, since I don't get the grind I'd like for my first shot.

I recently cleaned out the machine and it seemed to help a little, but the problem seems to persist. While cleaning, I touched the burrs lightly with my finger. They felt dull but I have never touched any other grinder burrs.

Perhaps it is not the burrs and there is something else I could troubleshoot. Any advice would be much appreciated!

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Is your coffee getting older and older at the same time or are you using fresh coffee consistently? Is it clogging up with old stale coffee? Did you get a bum bag of coffee recently?
LMWDP #603

tall_paul (original poster)

#3: Post by tall_paul (original poster) »

happycat wrote:Is your coffee getting older and older at the same time or are you using fresh coffee consistently? Is it clogging up with old stale coffee? Did you get a bum bag of coff recently?
The beans arent getting older and older, other than them aging in the bag. I measure out what is needed for a shot or two. Before I grind new, I empty out any old residual grounds from the grinder. Don't think its clogging, but Id have to take apart and clean again to see.