Do the bearings on HG-1 need replacement after several years?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Dmitry100

#1: Post by Dmitry100 »

Hi,

Do any of you guys know if the big bearings on the HG-1 need to eventually be replaced? I figure that all that torque from holding the vertical burr shaft might take a toll on them and introduce some play in the bearings... they seem fine but just curious if anyone ever needed to do it.

Thanks

tegwj

#2: Post by tegwj »

Under normal conditions and usage, no. They are sealed industrial bearings and should last the life of the grinder and beyond, largely because they're never going to be subjected to peak thermal loads.

That said even sealed bearings can go bad. The seals can fail, allowing the grease to escape and enabling premature wear. So while replacing the bearings in and of itself is not normally required, you should certainly inspect them occasionally as part of routine grinder maintenance.

Dmitry100 (original poster)

#3: Post by Dmitry100 (original poster) »

Gotcha. Just figured that long shaft would eventually wear them out. I bought some super thin/runny "food safe" oil to use to lubricant the bearings with, so hopefully it will make cranking the wheel a tad easier with medium/light beans.

I've even considered maybe changing the gear ratio from 1-1 to 2-1 to make it that much more easier as my shoulder is starting to feel to effects of this grinder (has it for only like 2 weeks or so)