DIY Bean Doser / Counter

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Agajohn

#1: Post by Agajohn »

Hi everyone.

Sharing a little DIY project i started working on last week. wanted to share it with the community. suggestions and ideas welcome.

i was going to finish the project and then post but you sometimes get good ideas and pointers from members here, so sharing as i go. thanks

idea is a bean counter. i do have 2 grinders. a sette 350 and a niche. but i keep finding myself going for the sette even tho the niche gives me a better grind uniformity. (and wilder flavors). i was thinking if there is anything i can do to make the daily routine more pleasant for using the niche. i know there will be about (0.5 gr) margin of error, but that is fine with me . im open to trying different recipes than a straight 20 gr shot.( 19.5 - 20.5gr)

so here are a few pictures of design concept and prototypes. it is a figure it out as you go situation

I havent drawn the hopper on top and also there will be a scale connected under it for the feedback loop

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

I think you need to walk us through the existing process then the intended process in order to highlight the problem you face, and the way you are fixing it.

Also hope that is not pvc....
LMWDP #603

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Agajohn (original poster)

#3: Post by Agajohn (original poster) »

here is an update on the machine.

ira
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ira »

Since time is probably not an issue, I'd try to make the spiral so it only picks up rows of single beans, that way you can slow down at the end and probably get even closer than .5 grams. You could also try making the turning part have the threads on the inside which might make it easier to control the flow.

Ira

#5: Post by Agajohn (original poster) »

good points, i will modify and adjust once the project is in functional state. making threads is hard because the 3d printer dimensional accuracy is not the best.

ira
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ira »

I was thinking something like this:

Scale is all wrong, but I think concept might work, especially if you can add a spreader so the beans don't pile up.

Ira

Kran

#7: Post by Kran »

One thing I would suggest is some bearings to prevent flex on the auger/shaft as it rotates and pushes beans. Also, when playing around with my own manual version I found that if you design sizing appropriately so the auger is only slightly smaller than the housing you can very effectively control bean feed rate per rotation. If the feed rate can't be adjusted to your liking via speed of rotation then just modify the auger to have more/less teeth. No need for threading on the housing on the design that I had, simply auger part and the tube.

See here: 3D printed bean doser

and then a similar concept but for a different application here (post 10 and 13): Slow feeding beans for single dosing? (as seen in James Hoffman re-grinding coffee video)

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home

#8: Post by Agajohn (original poster) »

oh man, nice work! you have a nice design. i believe the stepper motor has plenty of torque to turn the auger inside the tube, but i might be wrong. my idea was to make it 3d printable as much as possible. I also agree on the motor feed speed and also reducing or adding auger teeth and width to optimize end result.

also ive read that PETG is much more food safe than PLA. so once prototyping is done (with left over spools of PLA) i will be switching to a PETG.

currently i am finished with the electronics. ( got it in a functional state). now playing around to finish the housing and hopefully having a test run.

will keep you all updated.

#9: Post by Agajohn (original poster) »

#10: Post by Agajohn (original poster) »