Ditting vs Bunn Grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
User avatar
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC » Jul 16, 2012, 11:03 am

JohnB. wrote:I'm surprised you are seeing such a big difference since the Bunn & Ditting cast burrs are almost identical except for the spacer on the Bunn. Maybe the Bunn burrs needed more coffee run through to break in. The G1 was new wasn't it? The Ditting machined burrs weren't great right out of the box but after grinding about 15lbs they improved dramatically.

Mark Prince wrote about swapping the cast 804 burrs for machined burrs here:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/428927
Yeah, the G1 is brand new. Still only put about 1 lb thru it. But I assume if I were to use it and put a lot of coffee thru it, it would eventually dial in. But there is a dramatic difference in grind quality. I don't doubt the G1 would eventually grind similar to the 804, but I really appreciate the stepless quality the 804 has.

From a selfish perspective, I think drip grinders tend to hide under the shadow of espresso grinders, so I love it when I see any light being shed on them.

I'd love to have a modded G1, like Johns Bunnzilla. It seems to capture the best of both worlds, for a great deal less money. My only negative is the size. If I could have my G1 cut in half and have the same functionality and endurance, I'd have never bothered with the more expensive Ditting. But I think the burrs on the Ditting are far superior to the Bunn.


...split from Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores! by moderator...

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. » Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 am

TomC wrote: But there is a dramatic difference in grind quality. I don't doubt the G1 would eventually grind similar to the 804, but I really appreciate the stepless quality the 804 has.
I agree, stepless is nice, even on a brew grinder. Takes about an hour to convert the Bunn to stepless doing it as I did. Well worth the time if you were going to keep it.

I believe you on the grind quality difference but run 15+ lbs through the Bunn & you should see quite an improvement. As nice as the grind from your 804 looks now there is a marked improvement (less fines,ect) with the machined burrs once seasoned. Whether or not you'd consider it a $300 improvement is another thing although you'd only be into it for $355 at that point. :lol:
LMWDP 267

User avatar
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC » Jul 16, 2012, 11:57 am

Well, I paid a handsome finders fee, so I'm already into it at that range. I plan on selling the G1, which I essentially own for a low amount, due to the buying issues surrounding it. If I were to keep the G1, I wouldn't have bought the ditting from Dustin. But I'd likely pursue those mods if I did. I just can't get past the size and I have no place to hide it in my small apartment. The ditting is a major improvement.

And like Dustin mentioned, the ditting has the added perk of grinding directly into the brewing vessel and it's a bit more portable. He's kicking around the idea of doing a farmers market brewing setup. I'd love to see something like that happen.

BTW, I think if you have the G1 with ditting burrs and stepless, then you can't ask for anything better, since that auger feed eliminates the popcorning. I just wish an engineer would put it on a size diet to some extent, and make it stepless from the factory.

Post up pics of those twin Majors if you still have them!

dustin360

#4: Post by dustin360 » Jul 16, 2012, 12:15 pm

One of the biggest reasons I see the 804 as a much better grinder than the bunn, is because the total throw (from 10 to 1) on the ditting moves the burrs apart maybe a millimeter. The total throw on the bunn has to be quadruple that, if not more. The bunn gives you to big of a range, and not enough finesse. I would never use all the settings on that bunn, I do though on my ditting.

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. » Jul 16, 2012, 1:07 pm

TomC wrote:Post up pics of those twin Majors if you still have them!
Those two Majors are long gone but I picked up 5 Super Jollys & 2 more Majors in a pretty decent deal last year. Still have one SJ to sell & one of the Majors which I redid for myself but that may soon be on CG if the HG-One pans out.

dustin360 wrote:One of the biggest reasons I see the 804 as a much better grinder than the bunn, is because the total throw (from 10 to 1) on the ditting moves the burrs apart maybe a millimeter. The total throw on the bunn has to be quadruple that, if not more. The bunn gives you to big of a range, and not enough finesse. I would never use all the settings on that bunn, I do though on my ditting.


Actually total throw on the Bunn G series is also just under 1mm. :roll:

With the stepless mod it has as much or more "finesse" in the adjustment as the 804. The .9A motor & 2lb per minute grinding speed is comparable to the 805/Tanzania series.
LMWDP 267

User avatar
Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob » Jul 16, 2012, 4:15 pm

Using the Tanzania at home comes with its own set of annoyances. The bag shaker mechanism makes grinding into a container pretty miserable. Disconnecting it from the motor internally is fairly simple, but you then need a crossbar at the top for the knockout mechanism to rest on (you can see this on the Marco Uber Grinder). If you want to run it without a hopper, you need to break apart the hopper (hopefully not damaging it) to defeat the interlock mechanism that holds the grinder's top together. Also, it's a noisy beast, though I'm not sure how it compares to the Bunn grinders in this respect.
Chris

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. » Jul 16, 2012, 5:23 pm

Bob_McBob wrote: Also, it's a noisy beast, though I'm not sure how it compares to the Bunn grinders in this respect.
The Bunn G series is pretty noisy also especially when you rattle the shaker to knock the grounds out. Luckily it only takes a few seconds to grind my vac pot dose.
LMWDP 267

User avatar
TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC » Jul 16, 2012, 6:06 pm

Bob_McBob wrote:Using the Tanzania at home comes with its own set of annoyances. The bag shaker mechanism makes grinding into a container pretty miserable. Disconnecting it from the motor internally is fairly simple, but you then need a crossbar at the top for the knockout mechanism to rest on (you can see this on the Marco Uber Grinder). If you want to run it without a hopper, you need to break apart the hopper (hopefully not damaging it) to defeat the interlock mechanism that holds the grinder's top together. Also, it's a noisy beast, though I'm not sure how it compares to the Bunn grinders in this respect.

It did irk me that I couldn't acquire that model without the bag shaker. I like the overall look of it compared to its twin the 805, but the rattling bag shaker I could do without. I think I'm better off.

dustin360

#9: Post by dustin360 » Jul 16, 2012, 6:22 pm

JohnB. wrote:Actually total throw on the Bunn G series is also just under 1mm. :roll:
Hmm... interesting. Well let me rephrase my comment then. The total usable range on TomC bunn is 3 notches, maybe four on a good day. The total usable setting on the Ditting 804 I sold him, is 3 threw 9. And of course thats step less. So the Ditting has a wider usable range, plus infinite settings.

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. » replying to dustin360 » Jul 16, 2012, 7:14 pm

Come on Dustin quit whining, that's crap & you know it. The bunn gives you 5 choices for press pot, pour over & vac pot (drip) in stock configuration but with the stepless mod the adjustment options are almost limitless. I'm glad you like the 804 but with the Ditting machined burrs, auger feed & stepless adjustment Bunnzilla kicks it's ass! :twisted:
LMWDP 267