Ditting vs Bunn Grinders - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dustin360

#11: Post by dustin360 » Jul 16, 2012, 8:58 pm

I said USABLE notches John(road gravel and powder are NOT usable notches), not sure why your taking this so personal. Ive used quit a few grinders over the last 11 years working in coffee, and I much prefer a Ditting/Mahlkonig grinder over a Bunn. SIMPLE AS THAT

Back on topic, the best craigslist deal Ive ever seen was a two group Linea for a hundred bucks. In working condition(im sure it had issues, but still!). It was about 3 hours from where I live though, so I didnt get it.

Actually now that I think about it, the best deal ive ever seen was a working Brasila Portafino 2 group for free. The best thing was it was only a few years old. Once again I missed that one!!!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. » Jul 17, 2012, 4:00 pm

dustin360 wrote:I said USABLE notches John(road gravel and powder are NOT usable notches), not sure why your taking this so personal. Ive used quit a few grinders over the last 11 years working in coffee, and I much prefer a Ditting/Mahlkonig grinder over a Bunn. SIMPLE AS THAT
I was referring to usable settings & the finest of my 5 was Auto Drip which I'd hardly consider powder. That would be Turkish which would give you 6. Of course you can always set the selector dial between the detents for more options or ideally go stepless.

Not really taking your posts personally I just found most if not all of your Bunn info incorrect or misleading and felt it should be corrected. If you are going to post information about any piece of equipment you should at least have some idea what you are talking about.

I also like the Mahlkonig grinders, not so much the Dittings. The best thing that ever happened to Ditting (IMO) was the merger with Mahlkonig. As a result they finally dumped the pressed type burrs & went with the Mahlkonig machined style which produces fewer fines.

One final plus for the Bunn G series is the quick & easy access to the burrs. In less then one minute I can have both burrs completely exposed for cleaning. From what I've heard from other 804 owners that isn't the case with the Ditting.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. » Aug 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

As I mentioned in another thread Bunn now has a new detent plate for the G series grinders with 27 detents whereas the previous plate only had 9. While having 27 selection options is nice the detents are close enough together that the grind selection can be considered stepless as you can set the selector between detents & it holds that setting.

This plate originated on the Trifecta grinder, is now standard on all new G series grinders & can be retrofitted to older G series grinders with either the metal or plastic knob. The new plate is part #11067.0001 & can be ordered through your local Bunn dealer to save shipping costs http://www.bunn.com/support/provider_lookup.html Alternatively you can order by calling 800-286-6086 ext 4.

Swapping out the plates is relatively easy.

Loosen the two set screws on the side of the adjuster knob & slide the knob off.

Turn the knob upsidedown & you will see the old plate inside (new plate shown). The plate is held in place by two pegs molded into the back. You need to slip something under the plate & pry up on each side until the pegs are out of the holes in the knob. Pry gently as the pegs can break off in which case you would have to dig the broken piece out of the hole.

Install the new plate, reinstall the knob & check the feel of the detents as you turn the knob. You can increase or reduce the pressure on the detents by turning the detent ball adjuster with the knob removed.

Push in on the spring loaded white ball with a slotted screwdriver until you engage the slots in the threaded adjuster. Turn clockwise (1/4 turn) to decrease the pressure on the plate or counter clockwise to increase pressure.

Once you're happy with the feel of the adjustment knob do the grind adjustment procedure outlined on the back cover of your machine.
LMWDP 267

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC » Aug 29, 2012, 4:14 pm

This looks like a big step up for Bunn! I'd imagine the turning is more smooth now as well, since the individual detents might be shallower?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. » Aug 29, 2012, 4:49 pm

Yes, much smoother. Although you will feel the small detents the adjuster has much more of a stepless feel now. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Speaking of the adjustment assy. you want to make sure that there is a even space between the dial plate & the front cover of the machine. If the plate is touching the cover at any point you will get more vibration & noise. Adjusting the gap requires removing the back cover & loosening the 4 motor mount bolts. Once these are loose you can pull the adjuster assy. forward away from the body. You will initially see a larger gap at the top due to the extra weight up front but that will disappear when you tighten the motor mounts back up.
LMWDP 267

AlecMoody

#16: Post by AlecMoody » Nov 03, 2012, 10:01 am

John, who did you order this plate from? I tried to set up an order on it with bunn and several of their parts distributors last year and I couldn't actually track one down.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. » Nov 03, 2012, 10:39 am

I received mine back in August directly through a Bunn tech that read my posts in this thread. Unfortunately he seems to have moved on as he hasn't opened a PM I sent him quite a while ago. I doubt the 27 detent plate was available last year but you "should" be able to order it now using the part number I listed according to that tech. I say should because another H-B member ordered one recently & received a bag with the correct part number & Trifecta Plate written on the outside but the old 9 detent plate inside. I've emailed him to see if he ever got the correct plate & hopefully he will post some updated info here.
LMWDP 267

ChrisR

#18: Post by ChrisR » Nov 03, 2012, 1:13 pm

Hi, I'm the other H-B member John mentioned. When I tried to order the plate through Bunn I really had no luck. They wouldn't sell to me without an account. I found a local Bunn servicer who ordered one for me. The first time apparently Bunn mislabeled the part and sent the wrong one. I eventually did get the new plate though, and the part number John listed is correct.

I've now done the "Bunnzilla" conversion on my old G1 and I am very happy with it so far. Between the new Ditting burrs and the 27 setting detent plate it's like a new grinder. With the new plate installed the grind settings are indeed nearly stepless, it is extremely nice. I have now put about 15 lbs through my new Ditting burrs and I already think it's an improvement over the stock burrs. I believe this will only improve over time as I break them in more. Overall I think this is one of the best options available for a "titan" class brew grinder to use at home. I spent around $550 total on mine including the Craigslist G1, Ditting burrs, detent plate, and paying a machine shop to press a spacer ring on my burr. Great value for great grind quality. Big thanks to John for the assistance!

AlecMoody

#19: Post by AlecMoody » Nov 05, 2012, 10:07 am

I did mine back in march and after 40lbs of coffee it is still getting better. I have found all grind sizes improved but the medium to medium fine range is really excellent.

endlesscycles

#20: Post by endlesscycles » Nov 11, 2012, 3:34 pm

ChrisR wrote:...

I've now done the "Bunnzilla" conversion on my old G1 and I am very happy with it so far. Between the new Ditting burrs and the 27 setting detent plate it's like a new grinder. ...

This sounds like, as far as I can tell, the best grinder not just for the money, but possibly the best grinder possible.

What's the in vs. out avg? is there much room for stale coffee to linger? Quite tempted to go Bunnzilla at the roastery and encourage my customers to do so as well....
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC