Ditting K804 Lab Sweet burrs experience - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TigerStripes

#71: Post by TigerStripes »

My burrs touch just under the zero point, and I grind around 2.5 for medium roast. Took a lot of trial and error with foil shims to get this dialed in. I love this grinder but honestly couldn't recommend it to anyone with how badly aligned they are out of the box.

I only took a picture of the stationary burr, but here it is.

LMWDP #715

rajbangsa

#72: Post by rajbangsa »

IMO the process in 804 are straight forward and much easier compare to the EK

jb-0101

#73: Post by jb-0101 »

Has anyone done the fingernail sharpness test on their lab sweet burrs?

I have some original 804 cast burrs that I had resharpened by SSP, which I wasn't 100% happy with so then got a set of lab sweet burrs. Both have no have about 25kgs (50lb) of coffee through them so should be seasoned/broken in adequately. The SSP-sharpened original cast burrs feel much sharper than the lab sweet burrs. It was the first thing I noticed after getting the lab sweet burrs (so before I put any coffee through them) that the SSP-sharpened old cast burrs were much sharper. They would easily take some finger nail off, where as the lab sweet burrs wouldn't really. The lab sweet burrs feel like the cutting edge is much more rounded, they almost feel blunt in comparison.

Has anyone else done the finger nail test on their lab sweet burrs? How do they feel? Do they take nail off?

Acavia

#74: Post by Acavia replying to jb-0101 »

I am just now seeing this post. My Ditting Lab Sweet burrs seem dull, no sharp edge.

Marmot

#75: Post by Marmot »

I have not yet tried out absolutely new lab sweet burrs but the "dullness" of the burrs is what sets them apart from normal machined steel burrs.
I have other grinders with machined steel burrs from Ditting that are still sharp to the touch after heavy use for several years. The cast iron burrs feel very dull compared to those.
However the "dull" cast iron burrs produce a much better espresso (especially with medium to darker roasts) than all my other machined steel burrs or conical grinders.
I think with many things in the espresso world you have to decide with (your own) taste buds because general rules do not always apply.

rajbangsa

#76: Post by rajbangsa »

Marmot wrote: I think with many things in the espresso world you have to decide with (your own) taste buds because general rules do not always apply.
Agreed

Some people always chasing on something or chasing people's approval

is a waste of time...

Enjoy your coffee :D