Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mixpix

#81: Post by Mixpix »

Acavia wrote:What were your steps in aligning. Marker test?

I am thinking about trying on a KR804 with sweet burrs, next time I clean them.
Yes, first making plane the fixed burr and then the bottom one. Quite simple.

michael

#82: Post by michael »

How is it that a grinder this expensive could not be properly aligned on arrival 8)

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Mixpix

#83: Post by Mixpix »

As everything in life...it depends when you consider yourself happy with the product :) if you do not push the boundaries of light roast espresso you won't have any problem. Still have to see a commercial grinder perfectly aligned from the factory in the majority of the units. This becomes critical with unimodal burrs creating very few fines that "cover" alignment mistakes.

Espressoman007

#84: Post by Espressoman007 »

Hi,
this grinder is just hard to pass by and take your eyes off from it without thinking about having one. It has everything that I like, taste wise. I wouldn't mind having Monolith Flat and Ditting 807 Lab Sweet side by side, but is there anyone that has both grinders and can you tell me if there is a difference in taste?
I have everything in the cup that I wanted with Flat (which I didn't have with previous grinders). I have Flat with LM Shuriken and it gives me everything that you mentioned (OP), silky, oily, smooth taste, rich body, espresso is creamy and on another level, it's delicate. I call that "Espresso", and everything else that doesn't have those features I simply call "Well extracted coffee", but not espresso. Does Ditting bring more body, more creaminess or even more sweetness than Flat?
I just wonder about difference between these two, taste wise. I wouldn't use it for very light coffee, I would save Flat for that...but more for medium or a bit darker Italian blends which I like...in my off roasting season which is Autumn/Winter.
So I think these two could really get along well :)
Also, can you order Ditting directly from the manufacturer or you have to go through distributors?

Cheers!

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by Bmccall » replying to Espressoman007 »

A few months ago we had a Max, Flat SSP and 807 lab sweet on our counter. Although I don't have the LM burrs in my flat, I would have used the same descriptors as you did to explain the espresso it produced (silky, oily, smooth taste, rich body, espresso is creamy ). That said, we thought the 807 lab sweet and the SSP flat produced nearly identical cups and we ended up selling our flat because of that reason. We didn't see a point in keeping two grinders that produced the same flavor profiles. We ultimately decided to keep the Max and Ditting because they're able to produce wildly different cups.

HH

#86: Post by HH »

Bmccall wrote: we thought the 807 lab sweet and the SSP flat produced nearly identical cups and we ended up selling our flat because of that reason. We didn't see a point in keeping two grinders that produced the same flavor profiles.
This is really interesting. So you sold the Flat because you prefer the workflow on the Ditting? Can you elaborate a little on your thought process? I would have assumed you would have sold the Ditting if they produce the same results in the cup as it is so enormous! I really appreciate your input on this as I am considering both the Flat and the 807LS as an upgrade from my Niche.

hiyacharles

#87: Post by hiyacharles »

Bmccall wrote: A few months ago we had a Max, Flat SSP and 807 lab sweet on our counter. Although I don't have the LM burrs in my flat, I would have used the same descriptors as you did to explain the espresso it produced (silky, oily, smooth taste, rich body, espresso is creamy ). That said, we thought the 807 lab sweet and the SSP flat produced nearly identical cups and we ended up selling our flat because of that reason. We didn't see a point in keeping two grinders that produced the same flavor profiles. We ultimately decided to keep the Max and Ditting because they're able to produce wildly different cups.
Interesting, so through your experience, the Flat SSP running at 550RPM produces a near identical cup as the Ditting?

Just wanted to clarify, as I was interested in the 807Labsweet as well. But as i own a FLAT ssp currently (2019 version), maybe now i don't see the need to get one.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by Bmccall »

HH wrote:This is really interesting. So you sold the Flat because you prefer the workflow on the Ditting? Can you elaborate a little on your thought process? I would have assumed you would have sold the Ditting if they produce the same results in the cup as it is so enormous! I really appreciate your input on this as I am considering both the Flat and the 807LS as an upgrade from my Niche.

What ultimately won us over with the ditting was the flexibility between bulk grinding and single dosing. The size of the ditting isn't necessarily a concern for our counter space.

hiyacharles wrote:Interesting, so through your experience, the Flat SSP running at 550RPM produces a near identical cup as the Ditting?
Correct.

HH

#89: Post by HH »

Bmccall wrote: What ultimately won us over with the ditting was the flexibility between bulk grinding and single dosing. The size of the ditting isn't necessarily a concern for our counter space.
Thank you!

ethiopianbuffman

#90: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

I did not find that the Flat with SSPs gave the same body as the Ditting LS. The LS has lots of body and it coats your tongue. The SSPs are clear with less body and hits you with the flavors up front and then dissipates.