Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#441: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Bue wrote:So i contacted a vendor in Germany and asked about people reporting bad alignment and not being able to grind fine enough for light roast. I got this answer back:

"That the grinding discs are not properly aligned is absolute nonsense.
The so-called experts who post the mill unpack the mill and screw around.
What is true is, this grinder is not suitable for light roasted coffees. For dark coffees, this grinder is a dream."
The level of detail of the vendors's answer speaks volumes on his expertise ;)
I would agree that the Lab Sweets burrs are not pronouncing clarity in the same way some SSP burrs do, but that only means one should research what the Lab Sweet burrs pronounce and if that is what one is looking for.

erik82

#442: Post by erik82 »

Bue wrote:So i contacted a vendor in Germany and asked about people reporting bad alignment and not being able to grind fine enough for light roast. I got this answer back:

"That the grinding discs are not properly aligned is absolute nonsense.
The so-called experts who post the mill unpack the mill and screw around.
What is true is, this grinder is not suitable for light roasted coffees. For dark coffees, this grinder is a dream."
This was to be expected and the exact same answer a friend of mine got from Ceado on his much more expensive E37Z Hero clogging up the whole time. Don't freeze beans and light roasts are bad. We're the 1% that uses the grinders very different than in any commercial setting. It still says nothing about the grinders capabilities and the conclusions here are worth just as much as long as all of the grinders aren't properly seasoned.

Manufacturers still use conventional coffee wisdom in there advices and we as homebaristas tend to overexaggerate things. So in a sense a manufacturer is right because the grinder isn't developed with our use in mind so they can fall back on that. On the other side we know it's capable of doing what we want to use it for so we blame it on the manufacturer. These two standpoints together don't tend to work that well in communication between the two.
★ Helpful

coffeeOnTheBrain

#443: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain » replying to erik82 »

Well put!

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#444: Post by mreloc »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:I am sorry if I send you on an odyssey.
I hope you find the local pro that you are looking for.
Don't be-it's all good. Yesterday I went through and did marker alignment on the moving and stationary burrs and got them 90-95% swiping evenly, just using manual turning of the burr vs actuating the switch. Funny thing is that it didn't change my grind position at all (3 to 4 lines above chirp)- but flavor is good, and espresso flows pretty much without channeling. I suppose I'll just leave it alone at this point and let the burrs continue to break in over the next few months before doing anything else.

All this talk about light vs dark roasts has me thinking the lighter roasts will be trickiest to find the grind setting for requiring a finer setting. I'd always considered my beans "Medium" but have attached a couple of images for opinions on roast level to help us all calibrate.

Acavia

#445: Post by Acavia »

mreloc wrote:Don't be-it's all good. Yesterday I went through and did marker alignment on the moving and stationary burrs and got them 90-95% swiping evenly, just using manual turning of the burr vs actuating the switch.]
Do you mean you just switched the burrs 180 degrees each? What is actuating the switch?

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#446: Post by mreloc » replying to Acavia »

No, no, no- sorry I am wasn't clear- I meant I spoke n the burr by hand vs. turning on the motor. Better control over when the Burt's began to touch.

Acavia

#447: Post by Acavia » replying to mreloc »

How do you turn the bottom burr by hand with the top burr in place?

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#448: Post by mreloc » replying to Acavia »

Use a flat head screwdriver to turn the burr using the large center screw

HB
Admin

#449: Post by HB »

primacoffee wrote:My name's Ryan and I'm the Product Manager here at Prima. I'd like to jump in and help provide some clarity to 807 LS owners and those of you considering the grinder.
Ryan, since you're a vendor and your commentary could be viewed as a commercial post, I've split your helpful experience to a new thread in Marketplace. It's a "commercial DMZ" for sponsors: Ditting 807 Lab Sweet observations. Members are welcome to post questions directly to Ryan there. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

Acavia

#450: Post by Acavia »

coffee_Me wrote:1. Did zero calibration, brought 0.5 over 12 to the fine side on the scale.
2. Quick marker test on both burrs, not perfect. But I didn't have the right size screwdriver on hand to unscrew burrs, so the only way I could thought out was to add aluminum foil to the 3 positions below to improve the stationary burr a little bit.

This change dramatically affected the taste of pour over, surprisingly brought out noticeably bright acidity, slightly less sweetness, increased the complexity of the cup in a very nice way, which is very close to the detailed aroma/flavour/aftertaste description from roaster.

Espresso-wise, the pulling time was still within 20s for SOE under low pressure(3~6 bar roughly) , although it still tasted nice. (actually, it was tasty even when the espresso gashed out previously). The last pic shows the finest I could get, not sure whether it can tell anything.
What did you use to keep the foil in place on the burr carrier?