Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Agathorn

#181: Post by Agathorn »

mtbizzle wrote:Maybe so, but personally I have no problem grinding turkish. 804 lab sweet.image
I tried to grind for espresso now. At its finest I get an extraction of 18 grams in and 36 grams out at 18 seconds at 9 bar. So way to course. Can you change the zero point calibration somehow? The manual simply want you to contact a technician for that.

Marmot

#182: Post by Marmot »

In this german forum I posted a step by step instruction on calibrating an 807LS. You need a 3mm hex screw to loosen the fix screw on the dial. I would first open the grinder and clean everything. You can then slowly turn the dial finer until you hear the burrs chirping.

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/ditt ... 01/page-13

Advertisement
Agathorn

#183: Post by Agathorn replying to Marmot »

Thanks. I'll try it out

coffeeOnTheBrain

#184: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I had an issue with my newly delivered 807 Lab Sweet a while back. I send it back to Mahlkönig and they promised to fix it or send me a new one. Not surprisingly I still wait and I am expecting a new one as a repair shouldn't take that long. Frankly an exchange shouldn't either.
Anyway I did a zero point calibration and it didn't help much. You can find 2 YouTube links in this thread that kind of show the issue if you listen closely to the reoccurring chirp.
Anyway I was wondering if this chirp might be coming from a not well alligned moving burr carrier and if taking the burr carrier off and putting it back on again might help.
Here is a video I stumbled across after I send the grinder to Mahlkönig which shows the procedure for the 804. I don't know if it is the same procedure for the 807.
I guess this is something one could try if zero point calibration doesn't help or am I full of it?

Ups I forgot the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHdXgJkuK0

tbb

#185: Post by tbb »

I've now used my 807 Lab Sweet for 2 weeks or so. On arrival it wouldn't grind fine enough for light roast espresso. Adjusting the zero level on the dial solved the problem as such.

However I was still a bit worried about the headroom between burr rub and light roast espresso setting. It was ~30 microns, i.e. 3 thin lines (with the coffee used, on my setup, with my puck prep etc.).

I decided to buy a dial indicator with magnetic mount and check the moving burr carrier. As mentioned previously in this thread, the construction does make it possible to realign the moving burr carrier. It wasn't necessary in my case though, as the largest height difference of the moving burr circumference was about 10-15 microns.

I then proceeded to check the alignment of the stationary burr using the marker method, and there was clearly room for improvement. Compared to other grinders it's extremely easy to align the stationary burr carrier using the marker method. Shims can simply be placed between the burr carrier and the wall of the grind chamber. I don't think it's a good idea to place shims between the burr carrier and the burrs on this grinder, since there are only two holes holding the burrs in place. After a few iterations I was pleased with the marker rub off pattern. After realignment of the stationary burr the headroom between burr rub and light roast espresso increased to ~70 microns, i.e. 7 thin lines.

It is of course a bit disappointing that a product this expensive doesn't "just work" our of the box. To be fair I could completely block the flow on my Londinium R after setting the zero point of the dial correctly and before realignment. The realignment just makes it easier to dial in light roast espresso. I didn't use the grinder enough before realignment to comment on any effect on flavour, but I doubt that it makes a huge impact for filter and medium/dark espresso.

Using the dial indicator:

Placement of shims:

Stationary burr marker rub off pattern before realignment:

Stationary burr rub off pattern after realignment:

mtbizzle

#186: Post by mtbizzle »

Agathorn wrote:I tried to grind for espresso now. At its finest I get an extraction of 18 grams in and 36 grams out at 18 seconds at 9 bar. So way to course. Can you change the zero point calibration somehow? The manual simply want you to contact a technician for that.
When you say "at its finest". Are you going to the spot where burrs chirp, and going slightly coarser? Or are you going to "1" on the dial?
I set my "1" (the zero on my dial) to burr chirp. So if I grind just coarser than this, it is almost to burr contact. That is where I get turkish grind. Yes you can easily do zero point calibration, at least on the 804. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av1j85SG1F4
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

Agathorn

#187: Post by Agathorn »

I recalibrated mine so 0 is just above where the chirping begins. That just about lets me get a 20-25 seconds extraction with medium to light espresso. I thought I would be able to grind finer with this grinder

Advertisement
Marmot

#188: Post by Marmot »

You should certainly be able to grind finer!
On my old KF804 I recently for the first time got as low as 2.4 on the dial when using a very light filter roast and brewing with about 40 seconds of blooming at 1.5 bars and then about 30 seconds until 40 grams with an 18 gram dose. I usually never get lower than 2.8 with very light espresso roast and long preinfusion. With my darkest roasts I am usually around 4. The dial starts at 1 (not 0) and my burrs are almost touching at 1.
I would try to force Ditting or the supplier to resolve this matter since it obviously is a problem with quality control on their behalf.
I read that Hemro moved production for the 807 from the Ditting factory to the Mahlkönig factory in Germany. It might be coincidence but there seem to be similar problems with alignment on the EK43 grinders apparently since they cranked up production.

Agathorn

#189: Post by Agathorn »

Tried a freshly roasted batch that was a bit darker and at zero point at the grinder I almost choked the machine. So I guess no issues with medium and above freshly roasted coffee.
Tasted really good as well! I have never got these good results with my niche.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#190: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Agathorn wrote:I recalibrated mine so 0 is just above where the chirping begins. That just about lets me get a 20-25 seconds extraction with medium to light espresso. I thought I would be able to grind finer with this grinder
I think you should be able to grind finer too.
A friend has a 807 Lab Sweet too and did grind light espresso (not light filter beans) around 3 after zero point calibration.That was the confirmation I needed to send mine in for repair. I did zero point calibration and allignment but was not able to reach more than 6 bar on a proper espresso machine. On the other hand I was easily blocking flow with a Niche with the same beans. So there was obviously something wrong with mine beyond what I expected, allignment and zero point calibration.