Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Agathorn

#121: Post by Agathorn »

I read a lot about "shimming" the grinder to fix alignment issues. I'm not that good with modding stuff. Is this often necessary to get good performance of this grinder? I'd hope this grinder would work as expected considering its price.

Jeff
Team HB

#122: Post by Jeff »

"As expected" is relative. For a production setting, most seem satisfied with as-shipped alignment on grinders. The trend for even more precise alignment seems to be driven by enthusiasts and hasn't been embraced wholeheartedly by any of the major manufacturers of commercial grinders.

TheodorAdorno

#123: Post by TheodorAdorno »

Hi all,

I've just made an order for a 807 Lab Sweet from stock recently arrived in the UK - I hope it's as good as you lot have made it out to be! :D

I still don't really like its looks (I was going to get a Compak PK100 instead) but a) I'm no oil painting myself and b) I figured that it would add more variety to my existing grinders because of its unique burr set.

Looking forward to joining the owners club!

Best,

Paul.

longpvo

#124: Post by longpvo replying to TheodorAdorno »

Did I scare you off the PK100 on CFUK hahaha. I am intrigued about the cast burr and the geometry of the Lab Sweet as well coming from the 98mm flat.

Can anyone describe the 83mm LS vs something like 98mm EK43?

TheodorAdorno

#125: Post by TheodorAdorno »

longpvo wrote:Did I scare you off the PK100 on CFUK hahaha.
Yeah you did!

Actually, you definitely made me pause and then I thought more about obtaining a grinder that gave me something other than the clarity of the Ceado Hero and Titus Nautilus I'm already using. On reflection, I reckoned that the Compak wouldn't be different enough. I am hoping the Ditting's flavour profile is as good as its reputation, and I should know by the end of the week with a bit of luck.

I'll be really cheesed off if, in the meantime, I see one of your incredibly detailed posts of a disassembled Lab Sweet with lots of potential mechanical faults identified :evil:

Best,

Paul.

longpvo

#126: Post by longpvo »

TheodorAdorno wrote:
Actually, you definitely made me pause and then I thought more about obtaining a grinder that gave me something other than the clarity of the Ceado Hero and Titus Nautilus I'm already using.

I'll be really cheesed off if, in the meantime, I see one of your incredibly detailed posts of a disassembled Lab Sweet with lots of potential mechanical faults identified :evil:
I hear you on that, I really don't think the 98mm espresso burr in the PK100 would taste much different given the burrs set you already have from other grinders. As for the built quality, you would be disappointed coming from the Hero and especially Frank's Nautilus for sure, it's a shop grinder tbh! I myself got PK100 in wait for a flat + conical combo of the Ozik The All if that ever becomes a reality.

shfu1234

#127: Post by shfu1234 »

tbb wrote:Changing the grind setting from coarse to very fine, without running the grinder at the same time, is likely to ruin any grinder. Maybe that is what the Swedish reseller meant?
The potential for damaging the grinder, if not running it while adjusting grind setting, is of course larger if you change grind setting from pour over to espresso, than if you only make subtle changes in the espresso or pour over region.
I have heard this time to time, but I kinda don't get it :? :? .. to adjust setting is just moving rotation burr toward or away from the station burr. how come adjust it in a large range while it is not running would ruin the grinder. Please kindly share with me why ? appreciated.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#128: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to shfu1234 »

Usually there is some kind of thread involved when changing grind size. A thread is a relatively delicate mechanical connection.
Usually there are beans between the burrs, even when not grinding, single dosing aside. When you crush those beans with essentially the force of your hands transformed by that thread, the thread might be damaged.

While this is not so likely to happen when single dosing I would still advise against it, you might just have bad luck.

If somebody knows why some people argue for running the grinder while going coarser let me know. I blank on that one :)

coffeeOnTheBrain

#129: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

To add to this there are also some grinds which collect fine grinds in certain areas which would be wiped away when grinding and going finer at the same time, but would be compressed if not running the grinder when going finer.

shfu1234

#130: Post by shfu1234 »

coffeeOnTheBrain wrote:Usually there is some kind of thread involved when changing grind size. A thread is a relatively delicate mechanical connection.
Usually there are beans between the burrs, even when not grinding, single dosing aside. When you crush those beans with essentially the force of your hands transformed by that thread, the thread might be damaged.

While this is not so likely to happen when single dosing I would still advise against it, you might just have bad luck.

If somebody knows why some people argue for running the grinder while going coarser let me know. I blank on that one :)
many many thanks, coffeeOnTheBrain, now it makes sense !! and of course I will be running the grinder while changing setting from now on.