Ditting 804 not grinding fine after calibrating

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jalal20

#1: Post by Jalal20 »

So I have a ditting 804 I got from a friend who didn't use it much in his store. It was grinding fine but not as good as I wanted even at the turkish level.
So I calibrated it just as seen on the youtube videos. After that, it started giving me a very slight amount ( around 2g of 15) and the rest remain between the burrs and do not leave unless I turn the knob all the way to the coarsest level.
Any advise on what I did wrong here?

Thank you

rajbangsa

#2: Post by rajbangsa »

did you do the rdt? for me it help a lot with retention and statics

if not coffee with static will stick at the bag clipping/knocker quite a bit

And check the rubber spout, it could cause a big retention & clogged if doesn't install properly

Normally, if you switch from coarse to fine it will have some retention in the first fine grind around 1-1.5g (IME)

And finally if you can't build the pressure for espresso on the finest setting...its time to align the burr :D

Taz

#3: Post by Taz »

Are you using ssp burrs or a burr with some sort of coating? When I installed ssp burrs in my 804, I had the same phenomenon and could not grind much below 2 without beans just spinning in the chamber (1 is the zero point, unless I am forgetting). I've never been able to avoid it.

I think that is just a downside of coated burrs and a horizontal burr set. Maybe you are experiencing a different issue though. I find that with peak burrs, I can grind a lot finer without this happening. Hope that helps