Ditting 804 LAB SWEET burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#1: Post by bakafish » Nov 21, 2018, 10:24 pm

I just got my ditting 804 LAB SWEET.

The cast steel burr on the upper burr mount.

The bottom burr
★ Helpful

oddmeter

#2: Post by oddmeter » Feb 04, 2019, 12:45 pm

Thanks for posting this! I had an EK43 but was never satisfied with it so I sold it for a Ditting 804 and haven't looked back. I have a Mahlkonig Peak and those cast burrs make amazing espresso. I presume the Lab Sweet offers even better particle distribution but optimized for filter grinds? How are you liking the new Lab Sweet? Have you been able to compare it to other batch brew grinders?

bakafish

#3: Post by bakafish » Feb 04, 2019, 3:14 pm

I also had an EK43S and sold it for the Lab Sweet. The espresso is absolutely amazing. Both espresso and filter are better than EK43S. For pour over, compared to my Mahlkonig Guatemala, the body and flavor are more complex (perhaps sweeter, my friend said yes definitely, but I am not sensitive to sweetness) and never over extracted like the EK43S. The Guatemala makes clean taste and enhanced flavor. Both are excellent and I prefer the Guatemala because of clean taste. I think the Guatemala particle distribution is more unimodal and less fines.

kwantfm

#4: Post by kwantfm » Feb 05, 2019, 6:12 pm

Interesting thread... I'm wondering how you find the grind adjustment please? I have a Ditting KRA903 which does well for espresso but I find the dial adjustment not particularly repeatable nor do I find it easy to make fine adjustments.
LMWDP #602

bakafish

#5: Post by bakafish » Feb 06, 2019, 5:13 am

No issue here. You can see the micro adjustment on the dial knob. It's precise and repeatable. The espresso range is big enough. I adjusted the burrs touch at 1 and the espresso range is 2.0-2.7 for light to medium roasts.

oddmeter

#6: Post by oddmeter » Feb 06, 2019, 11:25 am

bakafish wrote:I also had an EK43S and sold it for the Lab Sweet. The espresso is absolutely amazing. Both espresso and filter are better than EK43S. For pour over, compared to my Mahlkonig Guatemala, the body and flavor are more complex (perhaps sweeter, my friend said yes definitely, but I am not sensitive to sweetness) and never over extracted like the EK43S. The Guatemala makes clean taste and enhanced flavor. Both are excellent and I prefer the Guatemala because of clean taste. I think the Guatemala particle distribution is more unimodal and less fines.
So you prefer the Guatemala over the Ditting Lab Sweet? Interesting, as I'm considering trading my 804 for the lab sweet but unsure if it will be worth it. I think the price in the US is $2895 for a new Lab Sweet.

bakafish

#7: Post by bakafish » Feb 06, 2019, 12:58 pm

oddmeter wrote:So you prefer the Guatemala over the Ditting Lab Sweet?
Yes. It's just my preference. I will take Guatemala if I can pick only one brew grinder, but if I will use only one grinder for both espresso and filter, it is definitely Lab Sweet. I didn't believe a grinder can handle both espresso and filter so well till I got it.

oddmeter

#8: Post by oddmeter » replying to bakafish » Feb 18, 2019, 11:01 pm

I decided to put my Mahlkonig peak burrs in my KF804 and test a few pour overs using a Kalita Wave, and Blue Bottle flat-bottom dripper, with various coffees from Onyx Coffee Labs and Cat & Cloud. The results so far have been amazing. Phenomenal sweetness, flavor clarity, juiciness, and mouthfeel. Tomorrow I'll do some refractometer testing to see what the numbers say. Ditting USA told me that extra sets of the Lab Sweet burrs aren't available yet but will be around April and should cost $450 + shipping. I'll keep testing but so far the results from these burrs are blowing me away.

bakafish

#9: Post by bakafish » replying to oddmeter » Feb 19, 2019, 9:32 am

May I ask why you put the PEAK burrs into the KF804? Is the PEAK not suitable for pour over?

redbone

#10: Post by redbone » Feb 19, 2019, 9:40 am

Wonder how the 804 Lab Sweet would compare to the Mahlkonig GUA710 Lab Retail Grinder. Got to see and sample one of these locally First time seen live. Mahlkonig GUA710 Lab Grinder.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549