Ditting 804 LAB SWEET burrs - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#51: Post by redbone »

Thecoffeguy wrote:Hi guys, this is my first post and I want to say thank you for making my decisions ever harder than I thought they were... :P
I came across the opportunity of acquiring the Ditting k804 Lab Sweet for about $2000.
Do you think I could use that beast for my daily LaCimbali M21 Casa Junior and a BUNN VP17-2SS?
I could by an used 2 year old BUNN G3 grinder latest model for about $400.
Will there be any major differences regarding grinding quality?
I presume that the Ditting is a more reliable and longer lasting machine...
Well, thank you all for your time and help.
You guys rock 8)

" Fidelis et mortem"
Stock Bunn G3 is not step-less or ideal for espresso. Newer BUNN GVH-1 is step-less and can apparently grind for espresso. BUNN GVH-1
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

TomC
Team HB

#52: Post by TomC replying to redbone »

It is actually step-less. Any rotation of the knob moves the burr in/out. You can adjust it slightly between notches and it'll stay there (usually). I've owned 3 of these over the years, the last one that I modded into a BunnZilla I used simple Bond-O to fill in the back and sanded it smooth. But all that does is eliminate the subtle clicks between "steps".
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
flix67

#53: Post by flix67 »

Hi guys, this is my first post and I want to say thank you for making my decisions ever harder than I thought they were... :P
I came across the opportunity of acquiring the Ditting k804 Lab Sweet for about $2000.
Do you think I could use that beast for my daily LaCimbali M21 Casa Junior and a BUNN VP17-2SS?
I could by an used 2 year old BUNN G3 grinder latest model for about $400.
Will there be any major differences regarding grinding quality?
I presume that the Ditting is a more reliable and longer lasting machine...
Well, thank you all for your time and help.
You guys rock 8)
I'm a newbie myself -- I just set up an account with the intent to post a teardown of a Bunn G9-2. I can't comment on a comparison against Ditting, but I can at least speak to the longevity of Bunn grinders. This Bunn G9-2 that I bought ($150) was used at a farm house for a few decades. The burr set is dated May of 1991 and the rotary on/off switch is dated 1997. It's still working fine. Adjustment is kind of a pain as I have to use a screw driver to change the separation between the burrs, but not too bad as I have scrapped the housing. All I have left is the motor and grind housing.

Interestingly, looking at the Bunn and Ditting Lab Sweet burrs, they appear similar -- deep and long grooves without many sharp cutting edges.

Thecoffeguy

#54: Post by Thecoffeguy »

Very interesting, and we are talking about a $1600 difference here...
I mean, I think I could use the Ditting for espresso as well and the Ceado E37J I have could use for caffeine-less coffee if you know what I mean...for that late coffee urge...
And the retention on the Ditting seems to be almost none...

GenAlaska

#55: Post by GenAlaska »

Hi guys! What do you think about if you install burrs from Ditting K804 Lab Sweet in the Mahlkonig PEAK coffee grinder? They are the same in diameter and fastening! You can save a lot of money! Most likely in PEAK there is probably no adjustment for coarse grinding, but can it be possible to expand the range?

indend007

#56: Post by indend007 »

oddmeter wrote:I never had a chance to try the old Ditting cast burr but I can say that the new PEAK style cast burr which looks extremely similar to the Lab Sweet, is phenomenal. The PEAK burrs produce amazing espresso, and so far amazing filter coffee. I made an Oji/Kyoto drip of the Onyx Cold Brew blend using the Peak burrs which tasted unbelievably sweet, juicy, soft, and complex. 10:1 ratio, same grind size as I use for a Kalita. I'm talking rich dates, cocoa, hints of citrus, and pecans. I took a sip and sat there just staring at the cup wondering what the hell I was drinking. I had made a batch of the same coffee with the same recipe using the Ditting machined burrs, and while those flavor notes were present and the coffee tasted good, it was sharper and didn't seem as rich or excite me in nearly the same way.

I realize that tasting notes and flavor descriptors can be tricky and are subject to bias, but I have to convey the joy and excitement I had in drinking the coffee made with the PEAK burrs. I might be crazy but I think I'm in love.

Both burrs look very similar to each other. Who can make images of these burrs on flat scanner?

GenAlaska

#57: Post by GenAlaska »

Thank you very much Indend007 for your feedback! You helped dispel doubts.

Advertisement
jkmm

#58: Post by jkmm »

Quick question to Sweet Lab owners - what grind settings do you use for different types of brew e g Kalita, Chemex, moka (and espresso)?

Thecoffeguy

#59: Post by Thecoffeguy »

I was wondering the very same question...if you have one of the 804labsweet machines, what's your preferred settings for the coffees you enjoy?

bakafish (original poster)

#60: Post by bakafish (original poster) »

I re-calibrated the burrs just not touch at the original finest setting number 1. For espresso I use 2.5 to 3. For V60 pour over with Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 method I use 10.

The design of the dial is not friendly for espresso. The indicator blocks the small scales and the scale is not fine enough.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByPGaTShTPq/
So I pasted a metric ruler on it. For espresso I use 2.5 to 3.3, and 15 for pour over.