Ditting 804 LAB SWEET burrs - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Dave Ewald

#41: Post by Dave Ewald »

I'm currently considering a lab sweet for cupping, but am trying to understand the difference between the kf804 and the lab / lab sweet (k804). Does anyone know what separates them? From their site, it seem to be grind range, and the burr set, but if a kf804 can take the k804 burrs, I might consider finding a used kf804, and purchasing new k804 burrs for that...
I don't need it for espresso, so moving back and forth on grind wouldnt need to be considered, it primarily for cupping, and a far secondarily for testing brew methods.

Thanks

Dave

oddmeter

#42: Post by oddmeter »

Well, after a lot of careful scrutiny and talking with both Mahlkonig and Ditting reps, it was confirmed by Nancy from Ditting that the Lab Sweet and Mahlkonig Peak use the exact same burrs.

It seems to be a combination of the metals used and the geometry that gives these (Peak/Sweet) burrs an edge for both espresso and filter coffee grinding.

cafemolino

#43: Post by cafemolino »

oddmeter wrote:Well, after a lot of careful scrutiny and talking with both Mahlkonig and Ditting reps, it was confirmed by Nancy from Ditting that the Lab Sweet and Mahlkonig Peak use the exact same burrs.

It seems to be a combination of the of metals used and the geometry that gives these (Peak/Sweet) burrs an edge for both espresso and filter coffee grinding.
did you see the inner diameter? 804 is a square - Peak round. shape of geometry on photo looks same. Have only seen them on web not live.

oddmeter

#44: Post by oddmeter replying to cafemolino »

The burrs are the same and the inner diameter of both burr sets is round, if I understand you correctly. If you're looking at this picture:

The inner square is actually the stationary disc holder, if I'm understanding what you're saying.

cafemolino

#45: Post by cafemolino »

oddmeter wrote:The burrs are the same and the inner diameter of both burr sets is round, if I understand you correctly. If you're looking at this picture: <image>

The inner square is actually the stationary disc holder, if I'm understanding what you're saying.
This is the one I found for the Peak

oddmeter

#46: Post by oddmeter »

cafemolino wrote:This is the one I found for the Peak<image>
The inner square you mention is not the burr, but the stationary disc holder.

Its pretty hard to tell which burr set is which, because they're the same.

cafemolino

#47: Post by cafemolino »

Oh thanks a lot then this misunderstanding occurred due the discs picture.

What you say about the numbers on the disks one reads 80/10 S the other 9 S

upper and lower ? Or different models ?

Jake_G
Team HB

#48: Post by Jake_G »

cafemolino wrote:Oh thanks a lot then this misunderstanding occurred due the discs picture.

What you say about the numbers on the disks one reads 80/10 S the other 9 S

upper and lower ? Or different models ?
Upper and lower.

It refers to the number of coarse "bean crusher" sections on the burr.

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704

bakafish (original poster)

#49: Post by bakafish (original poster) »

oddmeter wrote:The inner square is actually the stationary disc holder, if I'm understanding what you're saying.
Yes. I was too lazy to take them apart. :D

Thecoffeguy

#50: Post by Thecoffeguy »

Hi guys, this is my first post and I want to say thank you for making my decisions ever harder than I thought they were... :P
I came across the opportunity of acquiring the Ditting k804 Lab Sweet for about $2000.
Do you think I could use that beast for my daily LaCimbali M21 Casa Junior and a BUNN VP17-2SS?
I could by an used 2 year old BUNN G3 grinder latest model for about $400.
Will there be any major differences regarding grinding quality?
I presume that the Ditting is a more reliable and longer lasting machine...
Well, thank you all for your time and help.
You guys rock 8)

" Fidelis et mortem"