Ditting 804 LAB SWEET burrs - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
NelisB

#31: Post by NelisB »

false1001 wrote:I do have two questions though:
1) What is the single dosing experience like? I started single dosing about 4-5 years ago and will never, ever go back. A couple people in this thread have mentioned the EK43 is better in this respect, but in what ways? If the 804 SWEET can at least compete on single dosing that's enough for me, but I'd like to double check.
Follow-up question:
How do the beans reach the burrs? Do they just sit on the burrs and is a filled hopper preferred like with the MK Peak?

Cafillo

#32: Post by Cafillo »

false1001 wrote: 1) What is the single dosing experience like? I started single dosing about 4-5 years ago and will never, ever go back. A couple people in this thread have mentioned the EK43 is better in this respect, but in what ways? If the 804 SWEET can at least compete on single dosing that's enough for me, but I'd like to double check.
2) What is the noise level? I have an SO and a roommate that wouldn't really appreciate me making my morning coffee routine any louder.
Single Dosing is comfortable. I do absolutely not know, what should be better on a MK.
I do switch on. Open the hood. Throw 18..20g beans into the "Hopper" and after few seconds it's done.

The noise. While grinding there is grinding noise. Of course. Tinny sound. For short. OK for me and my Fam. at any daytime. Less noisy and much shorter than other grinders (like MK Kenia, Versalab etc.).
Motor noise (when no beans are in) is very silent.

false1001

#33: Post by false1001 replying to Cafillo »

Beautiful, thank you

bakafish (original poster)

#34: Post by bakafish (original poster) »

NelisB wrote:What issues does it have?
New Mahlkonig EK43S chirping, not holding calibration
I had the same problem as the first one. Besides, when I turned on the grinder and dialed to near zero, and then pushed the dial knob from one side ( such as up, down, left, right), the fixed burr was rubbed at one side which was checked by the whiteboard marker. It meant the mechanism used for the big flat burr was unstable.

discsinthesky

#35: Post by discsinthesky »

false1001 wrote:I've been considering the 804 SWEET for a couple months now in an effort to be done obsessing over grinder upgrades (obsessing over roaster upgrades is much more healthy). It seems to check all of my boxes: reliability (I guess the model itself is new-ish, but ditting are not!), upgradability, perfect for cupping, able to do both espresso and drip grind repeatably, and it's 4 inches shorter than the EK43, so it will fit under my cabinets. Plus, from what I've read the 804 SWEET essentially shows up on your doorstep ready to go, no fussing needed. I know Mahlkonig has spent a lot of time and money improving the alignment and out of the box capabilities of the EK but I also know of several people who have them at home/in their shop and are constantly fiddling with it.

I do have two questions though:
1) What is the single dosing experience like? I started single dosing about 4-5 years ago and will never, ever go back. A couple people in this thread have mentioned the EK43 is better in this respect, but in what ways? If the 804 SWEET can at least compete on single dosing that's enough for me, but I'd like to double check.
2) What is the noise level? I have an SO and a roommate that wouldn't really appreciate me making my morning coffee routine any louder.
Some more questions from someone in the market: what are the dimensions of the grinder? I'm seeing conflicting information in the Ditting USA website vs. the official Ditting website.

false1001

#36: Post by false1001 replying to discsinthesky »

I noticed the same thing. I reached out to Nancy at Ditting USA the other day and actually asked her the exact same question earlier today. I'll post what her response is. FWIW she's been extremely helpful and nice, I wouldn't hesitate to email her with any questions.

Rytopa

#37: Post by Rytopa »

i used briefly a 804 grinder at home together with an EK43S, the ditting was trickier to switch from filter to espresso and vice versa. From espresso to filter, i experience chunks of espresso grinds dislodging in the filter grinds. I had a lot of trouble single dosing espresso grinds with it mainly due to retention issues and having chunks of compacted grinds dislodging during multiple single dosing. I guess the horizontal feed does not flush out the grinds as much as the vertical feed of the EK43. The grinder was passed on to a friend who also experienced the same issues.

bakafish (original poster)

#38: Post by bakafish (original poster) replying to Rytopa »

I don't have any issue on the LAB SWEET. It is very consistent and repeatable. The grind retention for espresso and filter is almost zero. Only using very light roasts for espresso needs very fine grind and has about 1 gram retention in the first use after the full cleaning. The retention will be taken out simply by dropping 5 grams of coffee beans and grind in the filter range.

false1001

#39: Post by false1001 »

discsinthesky wrote:Some more questions from someone in the market: what are the dimensions of the grinder? I'm seeing conflicting information in the Ditting USA website vs. the official Ditting website.
Got a response:
the factory dimensions are actual dimensions with the lid closed. As you obviously will need room to open the lid and fill the hopper, this is the measurement that we use here. Closed, it's 19". Open, it's just under 25" tall, but you want to be sure you have room to get your hands and a bag of coffee above the grinder.
Which might make it slightly too big for me...

bytheway

#40: Post by bytheway »

Does the 804 LAB SWEET benefit from any re-alignment from factory?