Ditting 804 LAB SWEET burrs - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
oddmeter

Postby oddmeter » Feb 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

bakafish wrote:May I ask why you put the PEAK burrs into the KF804? Is the PEAK not suitable for pour over?

On the contrary, the PEAK burrs make amazing pour overs, in addition to pulling amazing espresso shots! Using a kalita wave, there was a lot of sweetness, flavor clarity, and a noticeably viscous, juicy mouthfeel that wasn't as present when I used the Ditting machined burrs. I don't entirely recall the EK having that kind of mouthfeel, but I could just be misremembering...

I don't have the $$$ to buy a new Ditting Lab Sweet grinder right now but from pictures, the PEAK burrs appear identical to the lab sweet burrs, so I thought I'd do a test to see what those burrs could do for pour-over, cold brew, and Kyoto drip. Nancy from Ditting USA says she has Lab sweet burrs on order so I plan on buying a set when they are available.

bakafish

Postby bakafish » replying to oddmeter » Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Sorry for my poor English. I meant why didn't you use PEAK for pour over directly but installed its burrs on KF804?

oddmeter

Postby oddmeter » replying to bakafish » Feb 19, 2019, 11:35 pm

Hey no worries, now I understand your question. I change coffees often and haven't had good experience single dosing with the K30 or PEAK. Those grinders seem to perform better with a full hopper. The Ditting design works much better for single dosing.

bakafish

Postby bakafish » replying to oddmeter » Feb 20, 2019, 8:54 pm

Got it. :D
I just add a photo of the bottom burr in the opening. The flat triangle areas are smaller.

boost

Postby boost » Feb 20, 2019, 9:09 pm

I have an 804 and have tried the old cast burr, new machined burr and SSP red coated burr.
So far I slightly prefer the old cast burr versus the SSP while the machined burr does not grind find enough for some espresso roasts.

The new Lab Sweet burr sounds interesting but I wonder how much improvement over the old cast burr. The machining seeems to be very close.

The Peak burr is out of question since they priced it more than the EK43 burr.

jasonmolinari

Postby jasonmolinari » Feb 20, 2019, 9:55 pm

I have none of these grinders or burrs, but reading it makes me wonder why a cast burr would be any different than a machined burr, given that at the end the cutting surfaces themselves must be machined or produced on the same equipment, no?

ira
Supporter ♡

Postby ira » Feb 20, 2019, 10:44 pm

When the Peak was being developed one of the people involved was discussing the chosen burrs and said something like they had tried lots of different profiles for ground steel burrs when someone pulled out a very old cast burr for a discontinued grinder and it gave the best results so they used those old cast burrs. At least that's what I remember.

Ira

oddmeter

Postby oddmeter » Feb 21, 2019, 12:31 pm

boost wrote:I have an 804 and have tried the old cast burr, new machined burr and SSP red coated burr.
So far I slightly prefer the old cast burr versus the SSP while the machined burr does not grind find enough for some espresso roasts.

The new Lab Sweet burr sounds interesting but I wonder how much improvement over the old cast burr. The machining seeems to be very close.

The Peak burr is out of question since they priced it more than the EK43 burr.

<image>

I never had a chance to try the old Ditting cast burr but I can say that the new PEAK style cast burr which looks extremely similar to the Lab Sweet, is phenomenal. The PEAK burrs produce amazing espresso, and so far amazing filter coffee. I made an Oji/Kyoto drip of the Onyx Cold Brew blend using the Peak burrs which tasted unbelievably sweet, juicy, soft, and complex. 10:1 ratio, same grind size as I use for a Kalita. I'm talking rich dates, cocoa, hints of citrus, and pecans. I took a sip and sat there just staring at the cup wondering what the hell I was drinking. I had made a batch of the same coffee with the same recipe using the Ditting machined burrs, and while those flavor notes were present and the coffee tasted good, it was sharper and didn't seem as rich or excite me in nearly the same way.

I realize that tasting notes and flavor descriptors can be tricky and are subject to bias, but I have to convey the joy and excitement I had in drinking the coffee made with the PEAK burrs. I might be crazy but I think I'm in love.

Cafillo

Postby Cafillo » Mar 13, 2019, 3:56 pm

bakafish wrote:Yes. It's just my preference. I will take Guatemala if I can pick only one brew grinder, but if I will use only one grinder for both espresso and filter, it is definitely Lab Sweet. I didn't believe a grinder can handle both espresso and filter so well till I got it.

May I ask what Gua model you have ?
burr diameter 65, 71 or 73?

NelisB

Postby NelisB » Mar 13, 2019, 5:11 pm

How is retention of the Peak?