Did your EG-1 ever freeze up?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Mine (2016) did just today. I was grinding a Guatemalan light roast at 500 RPM and the grinding just stopped. After I turned it off, set coarser, opened the brushes chamber and manually moved it, and closed that back, trying to reactivate with the on/off button, it still would not spin. Then I turned off the LED box and back on, activated the grinder and back in business.
LMWDP #198

chris_n

#2: Post by chris_n »

it could be that the hard beans tripped a safety breaker which would reset if you cut the main power.

i haven't encountered that, but I did encounter an issue (on my v2) with bean-feed on a Kenya peaberry this morning! the last few beans would just bounce around above the burrs. I had to move the grind setting to very coarse and run ~10g of beans through to get it to all flush out.

Advertisement
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

I've haven't had a problem with the EG1 V1 in 2 years but I do feed the beans with the grinder running. I almost exclusively use nordic roasts so pretty hard beans and around 500rpm.

For those last beans popcorning just use a Rocket Blower to push them through. Works perfect as there are always a couple of beans that won't feed through the burrs but do after some air puffs.

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

Chert wrote:Mine (2016) did just today. I was grinding a Guatemalan light roast at 500 RPM and the grinding just stopped.
I've not had this issue.

chris_n wrote:i haven't encountered that, but I did encounter an issue (on my v2) with bean-feed on a Kenya peaberry this morning! the last few beans would just bounce around above the burrs. I had to move the grind setting to very coarse and run ~10g of beans through to get it to all flush out.
I'm surprised nobody else but us has experienced this-it's happened to me with three different beans. Although I've tried a LOT of different beans, so it's still rare. I had to do the same thing-course it out and put some other beans on top to get them to feed. No amount of RPM adjusting, Rocket blowing, or power cycling made them feed instead of float!

JackHK

#5: Post by JackHK »

erik82 wrote:I've haven't had a problem with the EG1 V1 in 2 years but I do feed the beans with the grinder running. I almost exclusively use nordic roasts so pretty hard beans and around 500rpm.

For those last beans popcorning just use a Rocket Blower to push them through. Works perfect as there are always a couple of beans that won't feed through the burrs but do after some air puffs.
my experience is exactly the same (EG-1 v1), just i grind around 600rpm. same workflow and also very light roasted nordic style beans, Rocket Blower can be usefull 8)

JackHK

#6: Post by JackHK »

Chert wrote:Mine (2016) did just today. I was grinding a Guatemalan light roast at 500 RPM and the grinding just stopped. After I turned it off, set coarser, opened the brushes chamber and manually moved it, and closed that back, trying to reactivate with the on/off button, it still would not spin. Then I turned off the LED box and back on, activated the grinder and back in business.
Do you feed the beans with the grinder running or not?

Chert (original poster)

#7: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to JackHK »

For hard roasts I run the grinder, then drop in the beans. The grinder was in motion when it stalled.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
U2jewel

#8: Post by U2jewel »

I'm still in my honeymoon period, only having owned the v2 for just over a week.

I've already experienced burrs binding twice. Both times, I pressed the silver on/off button to turn it off (but didn't power it down at the back) and then turned the adjusting collar a bit to coarser (2 to 3 notches), then pulsed it on/off for a split second to free the burrs up. Returned the collar back to the intended setting and continued on with the rest of the dose.

It's brand new still, and that I'm using dense and lightly roasted coffee (Ethiopian heirlooms), and probably relevant that I'm grinding at fairly fine side in the espresso spectrum.. but still.. I wish it doesn't happen. I'm grinding at around 650 to 700rpm.

For the hardest of beans, I've started to feed it hot (grinder running). I'm not sure if it's helping, but too few grinds and too early to say if it's going to be helpful.

chipman

#9: Post by chipman »

I have one of the original discounted grinders. (2016) I have never had the grinder freeze.

Chert (original poster)

#10: Post by Chert (original poster) »

U2jewel wrote:
For the hardest of beans, I've started to feed it hot (grinder running). I'm not sure if it's helping, but too few grinds and too early to say if it's going to be helpful.
IIRC, that is a recommendation from LWW. Hard beans, feed with grinder spinning.
LMWDP #198