Did your EG-1 ever freeze up? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
[creative nickname]

#11: Post by [creative nickname] »

This has never happened to me (yet, knock wood), and I typically grind at 500RPM. Maybe you guys are using much lighter beans?
LMWDP #435

U2jewel

#12: Post by U2jewel »

[creative nickname] wrote:This has never happened to me (yet, knock wood), and I typically grind at 500RPM. Maybe you guys are using much lighter beans?
My comfort blend for espresso at the moment is medium roasted low altitude Vietnamese Caturra. Compared to the light Ethiopians which I do with V60, the sound of grinding is alarmingly different. You can definitely hear the grinder working out harder with denser beans :)
Chert wrote:IIRC, that is a recommendation from LWW. Hard beans, feed with grinder spinning.
Thank you for the info. Still early days for me, before any good or bad habits yet to be set in stone. It's a nightmare when you have to unlearn something from muscle memory :) so I might as well make it a habit to run it before dosing.

JackHK

#13: Post by JackHK »

[creative nickname] wrote:This has never happened to me (yet, knock wood), and I typically grind at 500RPM. Maybe you guys are using much lighter beans?
No probleme for me with Eg-1 v1 600rpm. with very light "omni roast" roasted etiopien beans from https://clevercoffee.dk/en/produkt/coff ... a-etiopia/

chris_n

#14: Post by chris_n »

erik82 wrote:I've haven't had a problem with the EG1 V1 in 2 years but I do feed the beans with the grinder running. I almost exclusively use nordic roasts so pretty hard beans and around 500rpm.

For those last beans popcorning just use a Rocket Blower to push them through. Works perfect as there are always a couple of beans that won't feed through the burrs but do after some air puffs.
I typically will use the rocket, but in these cases it hasn't seemed to help. My experience echoes that of Quester's.

That said, this has only happened once with the pea berry.

Chert (original poster)

#15: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I burned up a belt in the Vario and chipped a ceramic burr years ago when a piece of debris entered the grinder.

The coffee that stalled mine was a high grown Guatemalan that isn't best roasted light. I will go back to more development with it. I do inspect the beans because a rock or something I would never want in that grinder. Not even a green coffee bean. I'll go back down in RPM, but maybe 550 instead of 500.

I am glad if there is a shut off circuit to protect the motor from a bindup. Is there?
LMWDP #198

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

Maybe it's the CORE burrs that are more agressive (and new). I ordered a set which was sent from Japan and should be here tomorrow or the day after. I'll find out soon.

Charlene

#17: Post by Charlene »

Chert wrote:Mine (2016) did just today. I was grinding a Guatemalan light roast at 500 RPM and the grinding just stopped. After I turned it off, set coarser, opened the brushes chamber and manually moved it, and closed that back, trying to reactivate with the on/off button, it still would not spin. Then I turned off the LED box and back on, activated the grinder and back in business.
I have an EG-1 v1 and have not experienced any issues at all. I run the grinder at 1000rpm with no pop corning.
I drop the beans (very slight oil) first then start the grinder.