Dialing in your grinder every day ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aabushan

Postby aabushan » Feb 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Hi All,

I am new to espresso , I usually make 2 milk drinks and 1 espresso every day. When i got a new batch of beans i usually dial in the grinder for the perfect shot, however the next day the shot is usually slower and i have to dial the grinder again.

do you dial your grinder everyday ? or what is your routine ?

def

Postby def » Feb 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Once I have dialed in a particular coffee, I typically only need to make minor tweaks to dose or grind setting as that batch of coffee ages post-roast. Typically, I might need to grind a touch finer or slightly increase dose as the coffee beans age. If there is a problem with taste, or if I did not quite dial in on the first day, then I will make bigger adjustments until I fix the problem. If I still cannot fix the problem, I use the remainder of that coffee for pour-over brew. Lastly, if I just want to try something different, like changing the brew ratio, then I will re-dial in. Otherwise, no.

I once talked to a barista at a local cafe whose grinder is located right next to the front door. She told me that it is very difficult to stay dialed-in during the day because of the humidity changes of the beans.

Aguirre

Postby Aguirre » Feb 11, 2019, 10:19 am

aabushan wrote:Hi All,

I am new to espresso , I usually make 2 milk drinks and 1 espresso every day. When i got a new batch of beans i usually dial in the grinder for the perfect shot, however the next day the shot is usually slower and i have to dial the grinder again.

Yes - as coffee ages and humidity changes, your grind settings will have to be adjusted.

Anyway, one thing I found interesting/curious about your experience is that you're saying the next day you're having a "slower" shot?

Usually the opposite happens (considering all the other variables - humidity, temperature, dose - don't change). As days go by, if you keep the same grind settings, the shots will run faster. And therefore you'll need to grind finer.

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Feb 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

I find that curious as well, which begs the question...how sure are you that you were really dialed in? It's easy to have a one off great shot while trying to dial in when starting out. What you need to really be dialed in is consistency...or maybe better said...repeatability.

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » Feb 11, 2019, 2:01 pm

aabushan wrote:Hi All,

What grinder do you use?
The beans from a roastery or bagged beans?
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

alexno

Postby alexno » Feb 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

I had the same issue when I just started with the Breville Barista Express's integrated grinder. That grinder has few grams (!) of retention, and I had no idea I needed to purge it every morning, so my first shot of the day was full of stale grounds from yesterday. When I figured that out and started purging, things somewhat improved.

However, I was also grinding using the time based buttons on the grinder, and I noticed that for some shots the grinder would retain more, and then would drop that extra retained amount on the next shot. So I got myself a scale and started single dosing, weighing the grinder input and output, using the manual option, and things improved a bit more.

In the end, I got frustrated with the grinder and wasted coffee, and upgraded to a low-retention single-dosing grinder.

danny31292

Postby danny31292 » Feb 11, 2019, 9:42 pm

Aguirre wrote:Yes - as coffee ages and humidity changes, your grind settings will have to be adjusted.

Anyway, one thing I found interesting/curious about your experience is that you're saying the next day you're having a "slower" shot?

Usually the opposite happens (considering all the other variables - humidity, temperature, dose - don't change). As days go by, if you keep the same grind settings, the shots will run faster. And therefore you'll need to grind finer.

I find that if I use coffee that is too fresh (like 5 days), I sometimes have to go coarser as it ages. Once its reached its peak on around day 8, my grind rarely changes with my pharos.

marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Feb 11, 2019, 10:04 pm

emradguy wrote:I find that curious as well, which begs the question...how sure are you that you were really dialed in? It's easy to have a one off great shot while trying to dial in when starting out. What you need to really be dialed in is consistency...or maybe better said...repeatability.

I dont ever get 2 shots weighing close to each other in a row :roll:

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Feb 11, 2019, 10:09 pm

This is common for most grinders. I was tweaking daily with my Mahlkonig K30, with my Monolith Conical it's maybe once a week

Turbo Ron

Postby Turbo Ron » Feb 11, 2019, 11:27 pm

My Monolith Conical. Only a slight change when I open up a new 2.2 lb bag. If the humidity changes drastically in the house, I might make a slight change. Not very much, and not to often.