DF83v vs DF64v (I have both) - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
joiglan

#31: Post by joiglan »

This is very interesting for sure and thanks for taking the time to conduct so many tests! (y)
HobWash wrote:
Summary:
- DF83v w/ Lab Sweet Burrs -- I was not able to repeatably produce a quality espresso. Defective burrs?
- DF83v w/ DLC Espresso Burrs -- Tastes as good as DF64v w/ Lab Sweet Burrs.
- DF83v is not as precise/consistent as DF64v due to internal design.
- DF83v *may* have more modding potential.
- DF83v stalled with dark roast @ 1100rpm & 25g. My DF64v (newer version) has never stalled.
Would you say you notice much difference in the 64mm vs 83mm in terms of taste keeping the same burr on both? ie. DLC on 64 vs 83? and Lab Sweet in the two sizes also? Interesting you mention the 83mm with DLC taste's as good as 64 with LS - do you mean they taste similar?

HobWash (original poster)

#32: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

joiglan wrote:This is very interesting for sure and thanks for taking the time to conduct so many tests! (y)

Would you say you notice much difference in the 64mm vs 83mm in terms of taste keeping the same burr on both? ie. DLC on 64 vs 83? and Lab Sweet in the two sizes also? Interesting you mention the 83mm with DLC taste's as good as 64 with LS - do you mean they taste similar?
I did not spend much time with the DF83v with the LS Burrs so it is hard to say. My DF83v was having some issues so I quickly reverted back to the DLCs to debug.

As for DF83v w/ DLC vs DF64v w/ SSP LS.
Taste is subjective and I would say my "tasting" skills are sub-par.
So my short answer was that I do like the DF83v w/ DLC as much as I like the DF64v w/ SSP LS, but they are very different.

I think the SSP LS were more on the clarity end of the spectrum and the DLCs were more on the texture/body end. I would say, the DLCs were not as good for a straight shot, but they were good in milk drinks.

I tend to prefer more texture/body in milk coffees and clarity in non-milk coffees.
I drink milk coffees most of the time, so I am pretty happy with a wide range of espresso results.

Hope that helps.

malling

#33: Post by malling »

HobWash wrote:As of now, about 5kg through the DF83v. It only took about 1kg for my DF64v to settle in.

Yeah, I think there is some higher probability for defect earlier in the manufacturing for a new model, especially with how quickly they roll out new models.

My DF83v is very very low serial number.

Both my DF64Vs are newer generation (with the updated controller) and have been flawless.

So my hope is that, I'm just experiencing an "early adopter" issue ;)
This is exactly why I've been reluctant to permanently buy a DF yet... they need to settle the range and make some more improvements on them before I personally would consider them as permanent solutions. The product show promises especially the DF64v was actually interesting because it showed they were heading in the right direction. But now there talk about a 98mm version as well... lol

5kg on the cast is not nearly enough through it, you need minimum 10kg before making judgement

But I agree you likely got a defective unit.

HobWash (original poster)

#34: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

malling wrote:This is exactly why I've been reluctant to permanently buy a DF yet... they need to settle the range and make some more improvements on them before I personally would consider them as permanent solutions. The product show promises especially the DF64v was actually interesting because it showed they were heading in the right direction.

5kg on the cast is not nearly enough through it, you need minimum 10kg before making judgement

But I agree you likely got a defective unit.
I think I'm just about at 5kg, though these are some BIG BURRS, it may be that I just have not run enough coffee through it.

Both my DF64Vs were very consistent almost right out of the box. So I (maybe incorrectly) judged this DF83v to be faulty, but it is possible it just needs more time.

My hope is that someone else will do similar tests and report their findings.