DF83v vs DF64v (I have both) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
HobWash (original poster)

#11: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

robotuser wrote:Thank you for the writeup.

I'm researching DF64V. Sounds like there's a mess situation to be aware of out of the box? Grinds flying out? Would love to see some pics/threads (sorry if I missed any).

What are some popular 3d mod to handle that situation?
It's really not that bad.
I think most of the issue is when using the bellows, it kind of blows the bits around. I do not measure a notable loss in grams on the scale, it's just an extra cleanup step.

Some things that helped me in no specific order:
1. Get a tall dosing cup, best if it is just taller than the chute opening. Or you can raise up the dosing cup.
2. Hold your hand around the chute while hitting the bellows. Silly but it makes a big difference.
3. 3D Print a funnel that fits snuggly over your dosing cup and snuggly onto the chute.
4. Get a bulb blower.

I'm not sure if there are ready-made 3D prints available. I designed my own. I am happy to share it, however, mine is tailored for my dosing cup plus every 3D Printer is different so it may require tweaks for your use. I'll upload some photos soon.

robotuser

#12: Post by robotuser »

HobWash wrote:It's really not that bad.
I think most of the issue is when using the bellows, it kind of blows the bits around. I do not measure a notable loss in grams on the scale, it's just an extra cleanup step.
Roger. Does Lance's trick here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r6F3yF2TZU) help? He basically said don't use the bellow but tap with the palm. Does that significantly reduce the mess?

wongsteven51

#13: Post by wongsteven51 »

Thanks for the write up. Based on the issues you've had, would you recommend someone cancel their pre-order if they only plan on using 1 grinder?

Capuchin Monk

#14: Post by Capuchin Monk »

HobWash wrote:I think most of the issue is when using the bellows, it kind of blows the bits around.
It does blow the grinds when pressed as typically done. I do multiple very short taps on the bellows instead and it reduces stray grinds.

Kran

#15: Post by Kran »

Some of the mess with the DF64v is the shape of the stock catch cup and where the spout throws into the cup if you use the bellow. I use SSP Cast and the following solution:

#16: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

robotuser wrote:Roger. Does Lance's trick here (video) help? He basically said don't use the bellow but tap with the palm. Does that significantly reduce the mess?
Not for me. Though I do not spray water on my coffee beans. It could help to spray them but since I do not, I have to give a pretty good couple whacks to get zero retention.

#17: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

wongsteven51 wrote:Thanks for the write up. Based on the issues you've had, would you recommend someone cancel their pre-order if they only plan on using 1 grinder?
I hope you ordered it from Miicoffee like I did, their customer services appears to be excellent and they have a 30 day return policy.
Based on that, maybe you want to risk letting it arrive and try it and maybe return it.

Be aware, my grinder is a VERY VERY LOW serial number. Maybe I got a defective one.

But, if they all perform this way and I had to start over with only one, DF83v or DF64v. I'd keep the DF64v.

#18: Post by HobWash (original poster) »

robotuser

#19: Post by robotuser »

Kran wrote:Some of the mess with the DF64v is the shape of the stock catch cup and where the spout throws into the cup if you use the bellow. I use SSP Cast and the following solution:
Thx. Do you RDT? Trying to see if mess is caused by no RDT.

Jonk

#20: Post by Jonk »

What's the glass for?