DF83 - v1 available now or wait for v2 with standard burr set

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nørgaard

#1: Post by Nørgaard »

Hi all
I've convinced myself, that the DF83 - which is avaliable here in Europe now - is the grinder of choice for my soon to be Linea Micra.

However(!) the v2 is almost available as I type, and eventhough I'm going to stick with the standard burr set, they say that the v2 will have an improved declumper and 'plasma generator' (which sounds fancy and staight out'a Star Wars). But is that worth the wait - lead times will most likely be longer than in the US :roll:

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

/Anders

Deephaven

#2: Post by Deephaven »

There was a discounted brand new v1 in a box available here but I ordered a v2. My wait should only be a month though. Not 100% sure that the improvements do anything but considering the updates on the Turin's usually seem to be driven by consumers and are usually beneficial I figured the v2 was the safer long term bet.

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

Nørgaard wrote:Hi all
I've convinced myself, that the DF83 - which is avaliable here in Europe now - is the grinder of choice for my soon to be Linea Micra.

However(!) the v2 is almost available as I type, and eventhough I'm going to stick with the standard burr set, they say that the v2 will have an improved declumper and 'plasma generator' (which sounds fancy and staight out'a Star Wars). But is that worth the wait - lead times will most likely be longer than in the US :roll:

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

/Anders
The only video I've seen showing the V2 chute with the plasma generator was quite impressive. If you want a no foss DF83, get the V2.
I absolutely love mine but I did remove the declumper all together. I also just ordered the plasma generator kit to modify my V1 last night to reduce/eliminate the retention inside the chute, even with no declumper.
I could perfectly live with my DF83 in it's current state but I like to tinker and improve my equipment so the decision was easy for me. DF83 chute and declumper are pretty much the only annoyance about this grinder. Get the V2 :!:

You can order the V2 on turingrinders.com and choose shipping straight from the manufacturer. It'll ship from China right away.
LMWDP #592

Blernsball

#4: Post by Blernsball »

Hey lobin, you still recommend going with the df83 over something like the niche? I'd like to move up from my sette (paired with a europiccola) but only if it would make a noticeable difference.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin replying to Blernsball »

Oh big time. Owned a Niche for about 3 years. DF83 produces a much better cup for my taste. Sweeter and brighter while still providing excellent texture.
It does noticeably better with medium and light roasts.

While the Niche is still the king of workflow, DF83 V2 should be really close. Coming from a Sette, the DF83 will definitely feel like a big step up.
LMWDP #592

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mborkow »

I'd wait. If you don't, in a few months (or whenever V2 is becomes available) you'll wish you had...or I would anyway.

Nørgaard (original poster)

#7: Post by Nørgaard (original poster) »

:shock: I did not know that you can buy the plasma generator and update the v1 yourself. How much is the PG? I don't mind tinkering a little bit myself :D

malling

#8: Post by malling »

LObin wrote:The only video I've seen showing the V2 chute with the plasma generator was quite impressive. If you want a no foss DF83, get the V2.
I absolutely love mine but I did remove the declumper all together. I also just ordered the plasma generator kit to modify my V1 last night to reduce/eliminate the retention inside the chute, even with no declumper.
I could perfectly live with my DF83 in it's current state but I like to tinker and improve my equipment so the decision was easy for me. DF83 chute and declumper are pretty much the only annoyance about this grinder. Get the V2 :!:

You can order the V2 on turingrinders.com and choose shipping straight from the manufacturer. It'll ship from China right away.
The problem is that OP will be punished doing so in terms of VAT and Import duties, EU is very strict with these things. OP also loose two year reclamation rights on top. Making it more expensive then when it arrive on European markets. It's often rarely worth it unless it's a product not available.

Patience is probable key here, a couple of months should not really break it for anyone. Personally I would not bother doing aftermarket unless I already got one.

But yeah Df83 v2 or Timemore 78s on KS are definitely the choice currently. But with latter you really need loads of patience won't come before June at the very earliest.

Also V2 are "sold out" for other then US.

syc

#9: Post by syc »

Nørgaard wrote::shock: I did not know that you can buy the plasma generator and update the v1 yourself. How much is the PG? I don't mind tinkering a little bit myself :D
It _was_ $24, but the first 40 kits sold out the other day. Joe also has the thin metal (looks like old fashioned razor blade) declumper from the V2. He's supposed to be getting in another batch.
WRT the original question, I'd just wait for the V2. I like my v1, and after removing one of the awful declumpers, and adding a 58mm portafilter holder, I feel the workflow is comparable to my old Niche. The main drawback vis the niche is that the diminished fines of an 83mm flat vs the kony burrs means the sweet spot for dialing in the grind is much smaller. But the sweetness and the additional clarity are an overall win IMO. The ion/plasma generator seems to eliminate virtually all static beyond the emitter. There is still some static in the area of the chute above the ion terminals, but the static will self discharge eventually and you should be able to just blow it out. I expect that with the ion generator I won't need to wdt, making the workflow even easier.
You also have some control over the body and chocolatey-ness by either dumping all the beans into the grind chamber before starting the grinder ( gives you a little more of the Niche style) or steadily pouring beans into the grinder after starting it already (more clarity, less fines).

thinkertinkering

#10: Post by thinkertinkering »

LObin wrote: I absolutely love mine but I did remove the declumper all together.
Can you share your thoughts on any downsides in having the V2's declumper removed altogether ? For what's ending up in the portafilter, i do the rakey-rakey thingy anyway so i am not worried about clumps coming out of grinder. Would just like to know any observed downsides in terms of workflow (messy around the station ? static ? )