DF64 Gen2 static issue: Is this defective?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
vkdelta

#1: Post by vkdelta »

Hi Folks,
I just opened a new DF64 Gen2 which I got few days back. I have gone through few grinds but this is not matching what I saw in tons of youtube reviews that gen2 solved all the problems of static and grinds flying over.

I have attached video of what is happening. Please help to know if this is just a defective piece I need to return or is there something obvious I am missing?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

That's not uncommon at this time of year because of air dryness. Have you tried the Ross Droplet Technique? It works wonders for eliminating static.
Dan Kehn

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

From my own experience with the plasma generator on a DF83, that amount of static is abnormal. My first guess would be that there's an issue somewhere between the probes and the electrical connectors inside the grinder base.

I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them where and how to check that the plasma generator is functioning properly.

RDT can help on most grinders but from my own experience, it doesn't pair well with an Ionizer. It creates a humid buildup at the burr carrier exit. At least it did on my DF83. In any case, the DF64GEN2 should do a much better job at reducing static on its own.
LMWDP #592

vkdelta (original poster)

#4: Post by vkdelta (original poster) replying to LObin »

yes, exactly I feel something is defective.
Is there is a way to check with something such as volt meter, etc? (such as touching the probe wires with voltmeter)

yes, the whole reason I got DF64 Gen2 was to avoid this kind of thing.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin replying to vkdelta »

Other than visually inspect the probes, wires and connectors, I wouldn't know exactly how to check with a multimeter, although, I'm sure there's a way. Ask the seller, they'd probably know.
LMWDP #592

#6: Post by vkdelta (original poster) »

alright, I saw something like this, but It says only input voltage and not what it outputs.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 41397.html

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

A few kV, so not something a typical DMM handles

#8: Post by vkdelta (original poster) »

yeah, I just saw it.
you are right, I dont think MM will be able to handle this.

I dont deal much with High-voltage but seems to be super high voltage. I guess this how surges/static work.

borrik

#9: Post by borrik »

Per my experience when grinder is new/just cleaned/burrs were replaced the static issue is at its peak value, but after some week or two coffee oils settling at inner surfaces which lowering static effect.

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

This has nothing to do with seasoning or anything else except a faulty grinder. With every grinder without a plasma generator these answer would be true but not with the DF64 Gen 2.

I saw a video of a friend of mine grinding with his new DF64 Gen2 and he has absolutely no static. Seems like the plasma generator on your unit is broken.