DF64 Gen2 Burr Questions for Anyone and Everyone

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jnash

#1: Post by Jnash »

I'm getting a DF64 Gen 2 with either the stock Italmill stainless or the DLC burr set. I've looked at everything ever said about these 2 burr sets, and still am unsure about the answers to the following questions (people seem to say different things):

1). Do the stock Italmill stainless burrs on the DF64 Gen 2 have a different geometry from all previous versions of the DF64?
2). Do the stock Italmill stainless burrs on DF64 Gen 2 have identical geometry to the DLC burrs offered at additional cost for this grinder (i.e., is the only difference the coating)?

I'm fully aware the answers are of little consequence or interest to anyone but me. Nevertheless, you'd be doing me a big favor if you can answer definitively. Thanks.

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

First off they aren't Italmill burrs as only the V1 had Italmill burrs. They're in-house developed burrs which are uncoated on the Gen2 and DLC coated on the DF64V. Only difference is the coating and the DLC coating makes even more noise.

Jnash (original poster)

#3: Post by Jnash (original poster) »

Thanks. So your answer to my question #2 is the geometry is identical. That is helpful. If correct, this suggests offering DLC as an additional cost option on the Gen 2 may be about increasing profit as much as anything else. In a home machine like this, the stainless burrs would generally last the life of the grinder anyways.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

As they're a bit more towards the traditional profile they'll last a very long time. Coatings do have some effect on grinding due to the difference in friction coefficient but I doubt you'll notice it on these burrs. Personally I wouldn't upgrade them to DLC but buy 1-2 sets of SSP or Mizen burrs as that's a much better upgrade and you can easily swap. That'll make a much greater difference in the cup.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

The Coffee Chronicler on YouTube has done quite a good job at reviewing the DF64GEN2 and the latest Turin releases.
He did mention that he slightly preferred the DLC version in his DF64V vs the uncoated in his Gen2.
Likely a very small difference that most people wouldn't be able to pick in a blind test.

I personally really enjoy the DLC burrs. Very versatile burr set. A good mix of texture and clarity and works well for different roast levels.

While I currently have the Cast burrs in my 64V, I personally prefer the DLC over the HU, MP, Mazzer and Italmills (TiN). L. Hedrick said they had a profile very similar to the much pricier Gorilla Gear.
LMWDP #592

Jnash (original poster)

#6: Post by Jnash (original poster) »

Guys, thanks very much for your comments. Very helpful. I thought I'd read or seen everything on the DF64 Gen 2 possible, but did miss the Coffee Chronicler reviews, which really addressed my questions.

Jonathan. Interesting that you prefer their DLC over some of the pricier burr options. I don't think that's an opinion one hears very often.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

Well that depends on roast level. The stock burrs are pretty great allround for not to light roasts and if you're not really into pourover. The cast burrs work really well for pourover but are finicky for espresso whereas the Mizen Omni should be better with espresso. The MP is more oriented towards lighter roasts and pourover. The HU is a more traditional espresso burr.

So what works best for you is where your taste preference is. I have 3 sets of burrs for my P64 (Omi, 64ES and SSP MP) and will switch a burrset for a week or 2 if I have darker coffee then normal and will switch back after that. That's kind of what makes these grinders great.
★ Helpful

LObin

#8: Post by LObin »

Jnash wrote:Guys, thanks very much for your comments. Very helpful. I thought I'd read or seen everything on the DF64 Gen 2 possible, but did miss the Coffee Chronicler reviews, which really addressed my questions.

Jonathan. Interesting that you prefer their DLC over some of the pricier burr options. I don't think that's an opinion one hears very often.
I agree with Erik, in the end, it all comes down to roast level and taste preferences.
We drink medium-dark for lattes but also light modern roasts for straight espresso.
Depending on your style and preferences, spending more $ doesn't always = upgrading.

SSP MP didn't have the versatility we seek.
Italmill and Mazzer were a bit too traditional for light roast.
I didn't care for the 64HU.
Cast in the 64V have enough range and offer that versatility and smoothness/sweetness we love.
DLC felt somewhat close although different in profile.
If I didn't have the Cast, I'd be very happy with the DLC.
LMWDP #592

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

One thing that many in pursuit of "the best" burrs may not be aware of is that the higher "clarity" of the burrs, the more you'll be able to discern all the less pleasant flavors in your coffees. They don't magically "fix" an imperfect coffee.

I am sure I'm misquoting him, but I agree with Luca that there is a lot of baked coffee out there and that huge fraction of "specialty" coffee on the market has significant green or roast defects. Maybe you don't want to know what 64 MPs or 98 HUs or ... reveal in your roasters' offerings.